Options

Sales Engineer?

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
I was wondering if anyone on the forums is a sales engineer? I recently was talking to someone about this type of job role and I was trying to get a better understand of how you would break into such a roll.

My current understanding is that IT Sales Engineers are usually part of a sales team as they are the "technical arm" that design solutions for customers.

Comments

• Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I was wondering if anyone on the forums is a sales engineer? I recently was talking to someone about this type of job role and I was trying to get a better understand of how you would break into such a roll.

My current understanding is that IT Sales Engineers are usually part of a sales team as they are the "technical arm" that design solutions for customers.

You are spot on with your understanding. You would provide technical backup to your sales people. You don't have to have a strong sales background for such a role, but a little helps. You do need the technical chops and acumen for the products that your sales team is selling though.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    How exactly does one break into such a job role?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The vast majority of the sales engineers I've worked with only had a slight grasp of the technical side of things. I have met a few that have a good grasp on what they are doing, but it is rare. They basically are slightly more technical salesman who can speak buzz words if the customer wants some tech speak.

I'm sure it all depends on the company of course, but thats my experience with them so far. The ones I know personally moved from low level technical positions into the sales side. I do know one guy that was an engineer prior to going over and knows his stuff pretty well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well I know more than a few keywords, and I don't think that even moving into such a role I'd even give up learning on the technical side (Cisco, Linux, etc). I just think it'd be a good change.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    The vast majority of the sales engineers I've worked with only had a slight grasp of the technical side of things. I have met a few that have a good grasp on what they are doing, but it is rare. They basically are slightly more technical salesman who can speak buzz words if the customer wants some tech speak.

I'm sure it all depends on the company of course, but thats my experience with them so far. The ones I know personally moved from low level technical positions into the sales side. I do know one guy that was an engineer prior to going over and knows his stuff pretty well.

I've found quite the opposite. One of the Sales Engineers where I work could probably pass the CCIE R&S with his eyes closed.

We dont have many, but due to the nature of our company (providing a global backbone for transactions), anyone who knows nothing would get weeded out quite quick. The ones where I am are some of the most talented people in the company.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1