Options

WGU + post 9/11 G.I. Bill

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
Hi guys, I've found so much useful information on these forums I decided to go ahead and create an account. A little background before I get to the point: I'm graduating with an A.S. in Information Technology - Network Management as of May 2011. Along with my degree I will have CompTIA A+, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, and Cisco's ICND1 exam.

I want to start at Western Governor's University majoring in I.T. beginning July 2011. My Montgomery G.I. bill will have been exhausted as of May 2011. I'm going to convert to Post 9/11 when I graduate with the A.S. and use the Post 9/11 G.I. bill at WGU, but I'm confused about the distance learning B.A.H. benefit: Do Post 9/11 recipients going to WGU qualify for B.A.H.? Or just payment of tuition?

It'll be a real bummer to not get the B.A.H. I'm not even sure I'll find work around here once I have the A.S. degree icon_neutral.gif
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    ArabianKnightArabianKnight Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The distance learning path does not qualify for BAH. But, there is a bill that may or may not get passed soon that will allow any distance learning program to qualify for 50% of BAH for an E-5 with dependents.

I am waiting to see if this bill gets passed before stating any coursework.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You cannot use the 9-11 gi bill if you have no more mgibill benefits. If you still have mgib funds, then they can be used under the new bill until you run out. No double-dipping :)
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    SephStorm wrote: »
    You cannot use the 9-11 gi bill if you have no more mgibill benefits. If you still have mgib funds, then they can be used under the new bill until you run out. No double-dipping :)

My understanding is that once you deplete your Chapter 30 GI BILL, you DO get 12 months of POST 9/11 GI BILL. If you switch to Post 9/11 while you have ANY remaining benefits, you do not get the 1 year of benefits so you must switch after it's completely used up.

I believe it's called VA's rule of 48.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My understanding is that once you deplete your Chapter 30 GI BILL, you DO get 12 months of POST 9/11 GI BILL. If you switch to Post 9/11 while you have ANY remaining benefits, you do not get the 1 year of benefits so you must switch after it's completely used up.

I believe it's called VA's rule of 48.

I had to get references to clear this up, which was difficult to do, however, I'm now certain that anyone using the Montgomery G.I. bill (CH 30), you can use up the entire benefit and then get 12 months of CH 33.
    If you have remaining entitlement under the Montgomery GI Bill you can exhaust that entitlement (use up all that time) and then get up to 12 months of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Post-9/11 GI Bill - U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs You have to answer "No" to the question "Do you currently have any time left under another education program such as the Montgomery GI Bill?" to be able to reference this quote.

This same page answered the original question about getting BAH while attending WGU. The answer is a most definite no icon_sad.gif
    If you're only taking distance or online classes, you won't qualify for the monthly housing allowance under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, but you can still receive the basic education allowance under the Montgomery GI Bill.

But...I have the "kicker", approximately $300 tagged on to my CH 30 G.I. bill, which according to the VA is paid to distance learning students under CH 33 even though no BAH would be paid. Better than nothing!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Mike_30Mike_30 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Interesting thread because i have been thinking of converting my GI bill but havent had the time to read over all the in's and outs. One thing I dont like about the 9/11 GI is they wont pay for exams such as CLEP or Cert tests I believe. (feel free to correct me if im worng)

Since we are on the topic of the GI Bill and WGU. Since WGU does there school in 6 month terms rather than by credit hour how does that work out?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Mike_30 wrote: »
    Interesting thread because i have been thinking of converting my GI bill but havent had the time to read over all the in's and outs. One thing I dont like about the 9/11 GI is they wont pay for exams such as CLEP or Cert tests I believe. (feel free to correct me if im worng)

Since we are on the topic of the GI Bill and WGU. Since WGU does there school in 6 month terms rather than by credit hour how does that work out?

Why not give them a call and ask? Straight from the horse's mouth so to say.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My situation is a little different than yours as I go through VA Chapter 31. For me full time is 17 CUs a term to be classified full time. I'm not sure if the regular GI bill has that stipulation.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Mike_30Mike_30 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why not give them a call and ask? Straight from the horse's mouth so to say.

Been trying to get ahold of my "assigned counselor" for a week+ now. Before he was on training. Now we are playing phone tag. I am about to request a new one if I dont get him by COB tomorrow.