EIGRP Topology command

philipkesterphilipkester Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Experts,

I had a Question about EIGRP Topology command:

when we do a:
router# show ip eigrp topology

Resuts:
we see multiple dest networks which has successors routes to reach the network.
Ex:
P 10.20.10.0/26, 1 Successor, FD is 9827342
via 10.20.5.1 (9827342/28397), serial0/0

In this, the subnet mask = 26 or 255.255.255.192

My Q here is:
Do we specify the subnet mask based on the connection link's interface mask or the dest n/w's mask? If the dest n/w had a mask of 26 and the connection link b/w the router and the neighbor router had a mask of 30, which do we choose?

Hope i didn't confuse anyone here..
It wud be greatfull if someone could help me out here..

thx all

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to TE. icon_cheers.gif

In your network statement, you typically would choose the wildcard mask that matches the network in which you're trying to connect. That of course depends on whether or not you're summarizing. The link between the two routers sharing routes uses the actual network mask because they have to form a neighbor relationship via the network in which they are connected. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the net work command specfies what interfaces to include in routing updates. what networks are advertised will be what ever network ranges are assigned to the interfaces. so you could specify a network command that had a 32 mask (single ip address) but if the interface it corrosponded to had a 16 mask then that would be the route advertised.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.