Difference between 220-701 and 220-702

CertGrabberCertGrabber Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys just had a quick question about the two tests. I see in the objectives that the 220-701 is the "Essentials" and 220-702 is the "Practical Application" and that both exams have a lot of overlap. So it appears that the second test is just more thorough than the first.

As of now I am reading through Mike Meyers AIO and watching the CBT nuggets A+ 2009 series vids. Is it best to read through all the material and watch all the vids for the first test? Or is there a certain point that you reach in the book where you're ready for the first test.

Given the objectives, I'm assuming I need to read through all the material and vids before I'll be ready for the 220-701 exam (since the exams have overlap, with the 220-702 being more in depth). Just want to make sure there wasn't a stopping point in the book where you're ready for the first exam. Appreciate any clarification, thanks.
Studying CCNP Route

Currently compiling my own home lab. I never knew scouring ebay for routers, switches, and modules could be so much fun!

Comments

• Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a ton of overlap. It's really hard to tell, but what I did was just read all of it before taking exams, and I took 701 and 702 back-to-back. I used Mike Meyers's AIO book as well, and the way it's written, you pretty much have to read the whole book since each chapter covers both Essentials and Practical Application.

It may seem like more work, but the exams are *so* closely related that it's probably safest to just study 100% of the material and then schedule the exams.

PS. Know your command line tools and their switches. Also know your networking ports. I had more of that stuff on A+ than I did on Network+.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    There's a ton of overlap. It's really hard to tell, but what I did was just read all of it before taking exams, and I took 701 and 702 back-to-back. I used Mike Meyers's AIO book as well, and the way it's written, you pretty much have to read the whole book since each chapter covers both Essentials and Practical Application.

It may seem like more work, but the exams are *so* closely related that it's probably safest to just study 100% of the material and then schedule the exams.

PS. Know your command line tools and their switches. Also know your networking ports. I had more of that stuff on A+ than I did on Network+.
    +1 There is a TON of overlap. I took the previous version but took both exams the same day. I even had some questions repeat between the 2 exams. The 2 exams combined took less than 2 hours even taking a snack break between them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.