Options

Work Order System

kinggeorge1987kinggeorge1987 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

My assignment this week in my Server+ course is kinda out of my league, of course I'm not looking for a answer, and I have done a little research but the assigned reading and labsim has mentioned nothing about this.

The last question of our written assignment this week is, "How would you document your work order system?". I have never been in a large corporation, nor have I ever stepped foot in a server room. So can y'all give me an idea about what an actual work order system is, and it's purpose ?
Certification Goals

CompTIA A+ 701 & 702 - by December
CompTIA Network+ - by Feb 2011
CompTIA Server + - by May 2011 (At the latest)

Currently Studying
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to A+ (60%)
Mike Meyers - All In One Guide to Network+(60%)
Network+ Guide to Networks Fifth Edition - Tamara Dean(2%)
The Complete Guide to Servers and Server+ - Micheal Graves(2%)
TestOut Labsim - Network +
TestOut Labsim - Server+

Comments

• Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    "work order" is the usual term in facilities management. In IT, it's usually called a ticket system or incident management system. Purpose is to track issues so they don't get lost by being on sticky notes, emails and verbal "hey can you do this". At a more advanced level, a good ticket system will be able to do historical reporting to see trends of issues(eg, people are having lots of problems with using Outlook, which could lead to a conclusion that you need to conduct a training session), assign tickets to specific staff members, etc.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.