Options

Online Job Application Question

So I came across an online job application that I am filling out for a position I want to apply for. In the position requirements, they state the following:

"MCSE or MCITP preferred, but not required"

Now, on their online web based application, they have a section that lists certifications, and it is REQUIRED to select an option. The only options are:

MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CCNA

While I am working on my MCITP:EA, I don't have it yet. Would it be wrong to select the MCSE or MCSA option and explain, if there is a spot on the online application or in the interview if I get to that point? I would definitely explain that I haven't obtained it yet, but am working on it and only selected an option as it was required.

**CLARIFICATION - Just to make things clear, their online application is REQUIRING a selection even when their job posting says the certifications aren't required, but preferred.
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There should be a way to not select any of these. Selecting one that you don't have will mess up your application and if you do (by virtue of having selected one) make it to the interview process will mess you up. I've done a lot of online applications and never seen it where you HAVE to pick one.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    So I came across an online job application that I am filling out for a position I want to apply for. In the position requirements, they state the following:

"MCSE or MCITP preferred, but not required"

Now, on their online web based application, they have a section that lists certifications, and it is REQUIRED to select an option. The only options are:

MCSA, MCSE, CCA, CCNA

While I am working on my MCITP:EA, I don't have it yet. Would it be wrong to select the MCSE or MCSA option and explain, if there is a spot on the online application or in the interview if I get to that point? I would definitely explain that I haven't obtained it yet, but am working on it and only selected an option as it was required.

No don't mark it! If you had completed it then it would be worth listing it since it is essentially a newer version off it, but since you aren't even a MCITP:EA at this very moment I would leave it off.

This is just my opinion you can do what you want. I've always felt in progress and graduating in 2014 looks cheap on resumes. On here and Linkedin and such is fine, but on a resume I wouldn't. Now if they have a notes sections I would make note that you have completed certifications and even make note they lead up to the certification you listed. Essentially list what you do have MS cert 1 and 2, but don't list what you don't have. Anybody can list they have a certification pending even if they haven't purchased the books or started studying.

I've been in too many interviews where the hiring manager spoke with me afterwards and made a joke about in progress type of annotations. I can tell you from real world experience that it rarely helps.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Unfortunately I tried not selecting one and clicking the "Save and Continue" button, and it comes back saying that a selection is required.

I did get an email back from a HR Recruiter I know, and she says that I should go ahead and apply and then in my cover letter explain my situation.

Still worried about selecting that and getting that as a mark against me, though it is their poorly designed application that is forcing me to do so when they clearly state in their position requirements that it isn't required.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    If it is required to select something, then select something that is relevant to what you are going to pursue and explain to the recruiter during the interview.

A lot of job seekers haven't obtained these certificates and guess what? They end up not applying for the job and lose the opportunity. This is just one company. There are thousands of companies out there waiting for you to apply.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you have to select something then select MCSA since that is the closest to what you actually have. If there's a place to put some kind of note then explain the problem with their job application process (or even send them an email). Don't spend too much time worrying about it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't worry too much about it, but you are always trying for perfection when filling out these applications and fret the small details like that.

They do have a spot that I see now that allows you to actually put in your certifications, and also a spot for a cover letter, so I will list what certifications I actually have and also in my cover letter.
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Just a tip for you,

Don't worry about every little detail when you are applying for jobs. Keep blasting out your resume until you find a job. But, please do customize your cover letter and resume. These online job application questions mean nothing to me. I have applied to companies in the past with complete perfection and I don't get a reply. It's all about luck and right timing. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs that you are not qualified for. My current job prefers someone with MCSE and I have nothing! I still got the job.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I know I shouldn't worry too much about it, but you are always trying for perfection when filling out these applications and fret the small details like that.

They do have a spot that I see now that allows you to actually put in your certifications, and also a spot for a cover letter, so I will list what certifications I actually have and also in my cover letter.

Good idea, your certifications are nice. Be proud list them, you'll be an MCITP:EA soon enough.
  • Options
    laptop thanks for the info. I already do tweak my resume and cover letter for each job I apply for, to better highlight my skills based on what they are asking for. Heck it took me a year to get the job I have after being laid off due to corporate downsizing, so I know all about sending resumes.

Not sure why I freaked out on this little issue. I laid off sending resumes for the past ten months while I have been at my new job, but feel its time to get back on it. I work for a small non-profit right now, as the pay isn't near what it should be nor do I have any opportunities for advancement or anyone let learn off.