Options

Cli vpn

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi. I've been lurking in the forum for a while. It helped me through the CCNA a few years ago so this was the first place I came to start working on CCNA:S.

I plan on testing at the end of the month so I am in my final cram phase now. The only thing that is hanging me up is CLI Site-to-Site VPN configuration. I can look at a config and totally understand what each line does but to write it from scratch is killing me. Anyone have any tips other than constant repetition, which I will return to when I finish posting this?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks. I am using the CBT Nuggets and went looking for that pdf at nuggetlab.com but it says no files available.

In the pdf, I notice he includes step 3:

Configure ISAKMP Identity: Router(config)#crypto isakmp identity <address/hostname>

I don't see the crypto isakmp identity command mentioned in the Exam Guide. Is it needed?
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    perhaps you need to master the phases and steps in the tunnel creation process. I feel this is why you cant start from scratch because you can't write out step for step how this process starts. Once you master this , you can easily write it down and tell yourself , ok i need a policy, i need yada yada yada, now i need an ACL for interesting traffic for this step, etc. etc.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    perhaps you need to master the phases and steps in the tunnel creation process. I feel this is why you cant start from scratch because you can't write out step for step how this process starts. Once you master this , you can easily write it down and tell yourself , ok i need a policy, i need yada yada yada, now i need an ACL for interesting traffic for this step, etc. etc.

+1... As Chris said, if you know the tunnel creation process and understand what happens at each Phase, the CLI part is pretty straight forward. I would drill that information in my head if I were you... Good luck! icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I have the theory down, it's just the command line syntax that seems to be my hang up. I just it just comes down to repetition. Back to the lab!!!

My goal is to test (and pass!) on Oct 26th.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    medic wrote: »
    Thanks. I am using the CBT Nuggets and went looking for that pdf at nuggetlab.com but it says no files available.

In the pdf, I notice he includes step 3:

Configure ISAKMP Identity: Router(config)#crypto isakmp identity <address/hostname>

I don't see the crypto isakmp identity command mentioned in the Exam Guide. Is it needed?

I believe the address is used by default so the command isn't required.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    The exam topics specify using SDM by the way so I wouldn't get too hung up on the CLI config. ;)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    Holy crap you are right! I could have sworn I read configure site-to-site VPN using CLI and SDM.

Well, still good to know anyway.