Options

objective based exam prep?

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
Are there an companies that do exam sims based on objectives? What I mean is where, for instance if I am preparing for the CCNA, I can say just test my subnetting knowledge, or network models, ect. That way I can gain confidence in each area.

If it doesn't exist, I just gave someone a multi-million dollar idea, I want a piece. So I can give it back to you when I purchase the product.

Comments

• Options
    proleonkproleonk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not quite a simulator, but still goes by the exam objectives so you can work on weak areas. The questions on the exam I got were very similar to the ones I had in labs and that prepared me fairly well.

Amazon.com: CCNA Practice Questions (Exam 640-802) (3rd Edition) (9780789737144): Jeremy Cioara: Books
    Working on...
    MCSA 70-290 (50%) 70-291 (5%)
    ICND2 - 0% (on Hold)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I don't know how wide-spread it is, but there certainly is sim-based training that focuses on specific topics for some exams. With my partner-level access, I can work through sims on Cisco's PEC based on topics listed in exam blueprints, as well as stand-alone sims that cover a specific piece of technology or networking technique.

As for other companies, that's a toughie. You could check out Microsoft Learning's site and see what they offer, for example. Other than that, buying books and finding websites on specific topics to help you study for exam objectives is the way to go. There are lots of threads on this board outlining "other" sources for various exams, like LearnToSubnet and The TCP/IP Guide for example. You can also find video-based tutorials either on YouTube, or sites like Professor Messer.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Have you tried dynamip/GNS3? It uses Cisco IOS and loads them up like virtual machines. You can hook them up together and make your own lab - not the same as a simulator, because simulators are often more limited. No, you won't get the throughput you would with real cisco hardware, but you can have more of a lab instead of just simulations.

This is just what I do....in conjunction with a GNS3 lab I'm using this lab book: Cisco CCNA/CCNP Lab Workbook

Hope this helps. Good luck with your icon_study.gif
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Im all good on the router/switch sims, I was looking more for, "okay today I test my knowedge of network topologies, tomorrow, subnetting, the day after, troubleshooting, ect. The closest thing i've found is Labsim, where they have a test after each section, but the training is not all it should be...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Maybe you could use something like CBT Nuggets in conjunction with the TestOut material. I remember that the instructional videos were not as good as the CBT Nuggets, but having the ability to do do the lab-work and then get tested on it was fantastic. (I also remember having to print out a lot of text, since the videos didn't cover everything.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.