Options

Anyone use Transcender?

RickyRappRickyRapp Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I bought the Transcender pack (questions and exam voucher) and have noticed nobody mentioning they've used them. In the past, I've had excellent results with them and am hoping to continue the streak.

I am also reading Mike Meyer's Passport and Exam Cram.
Why memorize what you can look up???

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    RickyRapp wrote: »
    I bought the Transcender pack (questions and exam voucher) and have noticed nobody mentioning they've used them. In the past, I've had excellent results with them and am hoping to continue the streak.

I am also reading Mike Meyer's Passport and Exam Cram.

I used it. I've used transcenders for pretty much every test. I feel like they let me down a bit. They were asking stuff that wasn't convered in Darril's book. I asked Darril about it, and he said it was intentionally ommited because he didn't believe it was on the test. And he was mostly right.

I was getting 70's on Transcenders and got something like 840 on the real thing.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    bobbaftbobbaft Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I used it. I've used transcenders for pretty much every test. I feel like they let me down a bit. They were asking stuff that wasn't convered in Darril's book. I asked Darril about it, and he said it was intentionally ommited because he didn't believe it was on the test. And he was mostly right.

I was getting 70's on Transcenders and got something like 840 on the real thing.

Yeah, from my experience with them, they "over prepare" you in that they give you a lot of stuff that isn't necessary.

I'm scoring pretty high on most of them, I'm just a little worried about pulling the trigger and taking it. Maybe I'll grab Darril's book and review that.

Thanks for your input!
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Devilsbane wrote: »

This is what happened on my Net+, was hitting in the low 70s and high 60s and got an 840.

I'm hoping the same happens with the Transcenders on Sec+. However, like the OP, i am also going to suppliment my studies with Darril's book, I ordered it yesterday, and will shoot to take the exam a week or two after that comes in.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is what happened on my Net+, was hitting in the low 70s and high 60s and got an 840.

I'm hoping the same happens with the Transcenders on Sec+. However, like the OP, i am also going to suppliment my studies with Darril's book, I ordered it yesterday, and will shoot to take the exam a week or two after that comes in.

I think my highest score on the Transcender was 81-82%. Real thing=870.

I felt the Transcenders did excellent job for A+ and Network+ (thankfully, I didn't pay for them... :D ). The GREAT thing about the Transcenders was the flash card option on Cryptography.....I just used it for that the last week. That was the Transcenders saving grace......between that and the final exam of Darril's was what told me "I'm ready."
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am not using Transcender for S+ but I used them for A+ bridge ('09). I found that I like uCertify MUCH better. It has the best customization features of any of the exams I've tried (Transcender, MeasureUp, PrepLogic, Total Seminars, ...). The uCertify has a lot of study material with their tests and hundreds of flash cards if you prefer that.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chuckles wrote: »
    I am not using Transcender for S+ but I used them for A+ bridge ('09). I found that I like uCertify MUCH better. It has the best customization features of any of the exams I've tried (Transcender, MeasureUp, PrepLogic, Total Seminars, ...). The uCertify has a lot of study material with their tests and hundreds of flash cards if you prefer that.

Ucertify does have a good rep. I'm gonna try it for the MS 70-642 exam and see how I like it. I'll also have access to MeasureUP, but that I have to take for my WGU mentor to give me a voucher. I do like MeasureUp as a good secondary exam prep tool, but I wouldn't solely use it, personally.

MeasureUp for the Security+ exam was ok at best. That's what CompTIA uses for the 30 question bank as the questions were identical.

IMO though, Darril's book should be good enough though. Many of the questions I got on the exam were stuff that his book more than adequately prepared me for. If I had to use the Sybex book (which by all accounts is ok), I probably would have taken the exam a few more weeks as it gets too detailed with the material.

I imagine that's how it's going to be like with the Project+ Sybex Guide, but unfortunately, Darril did not write Project+: Get Certified Get Ahead. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I used Transcender for my ITIL, and I found it to be much harder than my other resources and the actual test itself... i think it is designed that way though, so if you are doing well on Transcender you should knock out the real cert with no problem... but again, I found it very helpful, about to start using it for A+
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark