Options

Possible Home Lab Equipment Change . . . Opinions Wanted

ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
I ended up getting a little extra cash, and thought I might make an equipment change to my Home Lab Rack, here is the current:

(3) 2950's
(1) 3524 *
(2) 2611XM's
(2) 2610XM's

*I got this unit cheap from work, as I thought it was a Layer 3 Compatible Switch, but my research seems to indicate that its not, but the one I have is POE, so it does have some value, on the used market.

I was thinking of dumping (1) 2950 & the 3524, replacing them with (2) 3550's (24 port models).

I would like to hear comments on weather this sounds like a sound plan, I am only doing the CCENT/CCNA study right now but I want to have an eye towards having my lab setup to do the more advanced Labs for the CCNP.

I welcome comments.
Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
c0op3r.com

Comments

• Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    If you were going to simulate redundancy at the core switching level 2 3550emi's would be cool. If you are wanting to future proof your setup for CCNP study I would say keep 1-2 2950's and get one layer 3 3550emi switch.

What Wics/NM's do you have in those XM routers?
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Funny that someone gave you a 3524, I was given a 3548 last year which is just as obsolete and I rarely use it (although it does do fiber which comes in handy).

But yours does PoE (mine doesn't) - it might come in handy and save you from using the clumsy DC blocks on things like phones and APs.

However, if you get a 3550 or two that does PoE - well you can then toss the 3524.

My 3548 rarely gets used nowadays - it has a lot of fans and is very noisy.
  • Options
    If you were going to simulate redundancy at the core switching level 2 3550emi's would be cool. If you are wanting to future proof your setup for CCNP study I would say keep 1-2 2950's and get one layer 3 3550emi switch.

What Wics/NM's do you have in those XM routers?

Yeah, gonna keep two of the 2950's (currently have 3).

I have the following wic's:

2611XM (#1) F48/R256 (2) WIC-2A/S, (1) NM-EN w/ (1) WIC-1AM
    2611XM (#2) F48/R256 (2) WIC-2A/S, (1) NM-EN w/ (1) WIC-1DSU-T1
    2610XM (#1) F48/R256 (1) WIC-2A/S }
    2610XM (#2) F48/R256 (1) WIC-2A/S } these 2 had to have the Boot Rom Upgraded
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options

Please explain the difference between the 3550 EMI & SMI models?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Please explain the difference between the 3550 EMI & SMI models?

No difference hardware wise - but if you use an EMI image on a SMI box at work, you might have yourself a licensing snafu (so check with your Cisco rep or your boss).
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    No difference hardware wise - but if you use an EMI image on a SMI box at work, you might have yourself a licensing snafu (so check with your Cisco rep or your boss).

OK great, not worried about that, as its for the Home Lab, other then that I agree let the company pay for it!

Thanx for the info.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com