Options

Starting new job,

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
I can't wait to start my new job now, I was talking to the boss earlier and asking about access to lab equipment to study on.

Yes there loads of it... "2600, 2800, 3550, 3600, 4000, 5505, 6500, 6509, 7513 are just some of the devices that can be booked out, and there are many others too including servers, firewalls and vpn concentrators."

Man how will I work with all that round the corner begging to be played with??

And I was worried about leaving behind my current lab with its three 3640's and a few 3550's!!! (might still take my 2509 with me though for when I can build up my home lab).

I should be just about set for my next few CISCO certs :) and I get a bonus for passing them! Some hard work coming up, but I think the benefits will far outweigh the pain.

Can't wait, just about three weeks to go...
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the new Job!! icon_cheers.gif
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I should be just about set for my next few CISCO certs :) and I get a bonus for passing them!
    And Congratulations on finding a company that values certifications (and learning) -- and backs it up with cash. icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man! That's awesome.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the new job! Def jealous that you get to have fun with all that lab equipment! So does your new job have something to do with network? icon_wink.gif

In all seriousness though what is your new title?
  • Options
    Congrats on the new job! Def jealous that you get to have fun with all that lab equipment! So does your new job have something to do with network? icon_wink.gif

In all seriousness though what is your new title?

Change and release engineer.

I was a bit worried it would be all paperwork, but thankfully is quite nicely split between the change managment processes (which is always good to learn) and actuly hands on carrying out the changes.

Oh and the company has the most CCIE's working for them out side of CISCO, so should be a few people around to answer any tec questions I might have. :)

Personaly I don't think I'll get a better optunity than whats being offered, I have always said one day I'd like my own CCIE, no excuse now!
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That sounds like an awesome experience! I wish you the best of luck @ the new job icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Sounds like you could use an ITIL cert, at least to me your job title reminds me of the Change Management I had to study....

congrats!
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    Sounds like you could use an ITIL cert, at least to me your job title reminds me of the Change Management I had to study....

congrats!

Oh thats OK, he did mention about ITIL and getting one :) we work to ITIL standards in my current postition so that should not be to hard.

Troule is my list of cert wants is rgrowing much faster than I can get them. Once settled in to new house and new job I going to have my own study so going to try to push ahead with them.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats, dreams do come true.... all in good time....icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Congratulations!

Sweet gig. So are we going to see CCIE on your name in next couple of years? :)

What are you doing to celebrate your fine achievement?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    MY plans for certs are as follows

CCNP,
    CCDP, (only one more exam)
    CCSP,
    Thrown in with some ITIL and Linux exams

And depending how long all that takes and what I am doing after that then yes CCIE one day, but I am in no rush. More intrested in pading out my skills and getting a firm footing in all things networks before I think about focucing on a CCIE.

After all this job is first and formost about the work, they are paying me to do a job, so learning that will come first. And if this requires specific skills then I will study them.

Plus I taking my certs slowly at the moment, new daughter and moving house, and I am trying to make sure I learn the stuff inside an out.

But cheers for the posts everyone, :)

Aaron
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    CCNP,
    CCDP, (only one more exam)

You still have to do the CCDA so its actually two more exams, but good luck and congrats on the job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats DevilWAH. Sounds like a really sweet new job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Well started on Monday and looks like a fun times ahead. First need to get up to speed but then they are asking me to push forward and improve the services provided. So a nice challenge ahead which is just what I need.

Only problem is that its now my third day, and I am sitting at home looking after the baby while my wife is in Hospital on IV antibiotics! Hopefully it is nothing serious and she will be home tonight :), and thankfully my new boss has been great about it.

Oh and I finally work in a company that allows me remote access so I can at least do some reading today.
  • Options
    Well this jobs going good. been hard work, not so much tecnical but sorting out the processes. Good news is that after just 5 week I have been promoted from one of gthe engineers to be leading the team! Which was a nice suprise, So now have people to manage.... poor them. And involved in devloping global processes. Nice to see all the years of hard work are starting to pay off. not a bad year, new baby, new house, new job and a promotation. Bring on 2011 when i have total world domination planned. :)
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well this jobs going good. been hard work, not so much tecnical but sorting out the processes. Good news is that after just 5 week I have been promoted from one of gthe engineers to be leading the team! Which was a nice suprise, So now have people to manage.... poor them. And involved in devloping global processes. Nice to see all the years of hard work are starting to pay off. not a bad year, new baby, new house, new job and a promotation. Bring on 2011 when i have total world domination planned. :)

Awesome update. Persistence def pays off :)