Need help with learning the different memories

cavaseliscavaselis Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ram,rom,dram,ftp,tftp,startup,run,NVram ..... For some reason this area just confuses me.
Any ideas to help me remember this stuff? I just got done the book and am doing practice tests and this is my weak area by far.Also the boot registers.
Thanks
Mike

Comments

• papaldmpapaldm Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YouTube - CCNA - Cisco Router Boot Sequence

Kinda sounds like the Geico gecko but it helped me....
  • cavaseliscavaselis Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, that was a big help...
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good tutorial!
    And yes he does sound like the geico Gecko
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing he mentions is that it pull the config file from RAM.. this is not quite right, it pulls it from nvram that is a separate chip on the motherboard.

I would suggest just simple learning what each type is used for. And if you know PC's then use that as a starting place. Flash=harddrive, ROM=bios, RAM=RAM etc..

One big thing to remember in CISCO is that the entire IOS and config is copied to and run from RAM. unlike a PC that copies only what it needs in to ram from the harddisk. With a cisco device you can delete the IOS from flash with out any effect on the running of the device.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.