Ready or not! --Passed!!!

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well the time is almost here...

I studied the DG book front to back, definitely my main source, got a copy of the Sybex book just for an alternate reference and used google / wikipedia and of course the forums here and a few random practice test / flash cards on diff sites...

In just over 12 hours I will find out if I did enough to pass...

I just finished the practice test in DG's book, and got 90%, so hopefully that is a good indication of my readiness!?#?$ Of course the ones I got wrong were split between two good answers and the wrong one sucked me in .... and the other half being me pulling the trigger too soon or flat out guessing.

I installed labsim as suggested on here, but it didn't have SY0-201 as part of the trial--sent an email to them and they added it to my account today. So I will probably tinker with that to see if it has an exam, before getting a good night sleep. I've been going to bed at 5AM everyday, since we have a newborn it's the only quiet time. Thank God for a patient wife icon_cheers.gif
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll do great man. From the look of your practice test, you're more than ready for the exam. Like with any other exam, be sure to think through the answers completely and manage your time appropriately; Security+ is a little trickier than the others.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seriously....don't lose any sleep man...you'll do fine!

icon_thumright.gif
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I installed labsim as suggested on here... So I will probably tinker with that to see if it has an exam, before getting a good night sleep.

Ouch! I got a friggin 74%!

Though some of the items weren't covered in the DG reference, also a little different wording. Oh well ... I'm getting some sleep, so I can be fresh tomorrow.
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Ouch! I got a friggin 74%!

Though some of the items weren't covered in the DG reference, also a little different wording. Oh well ... I'm getting some sleep, so I can be fresh tomorrow.

MANY OF US (MYSELF INCLUDED) got 60-80% of the practice exams (Labsims, Transcenders, measureups, CompTIA's site [based on MeasureUp], etc.) but then got 800+ on the real mckoy. My last statement in my sig definitely applies to you. Those practice exams are designed to be harder than the real mckoy, but the fault of that is that you go in there with some trepidation. The benefit is that you "overprepare" [which is good OR bad, depending on the situation].

Just have a nice large cup of coffee right before you sit for the exam as that will definitely keep you awake and focused on the exam. You will do fine if you used the "DG reference."

There is really nothing to be nervous about.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was getting 70's on transcenders and 67% on CompTIA's website. Still got 840 or something on the real thing.

I spoke with Darril about things on Transcenders that weren't in his book. He told me that it was because his book was written for what CompTIA would test on. And he was mostly right.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I was getting 70's on transcenders and 67% on CompTIA's website. Still got 840 or something on the real thing.

I spoke with Darril about things on Transcenders that weren't in his book. He told me that it was because his book was written for what CompTIA would test on. And he was mostly right.

Well, that is good to know....
    Well, that is good to know....

If you can do 80's and 90's on the questions in his book, you will be just fine.

That definitely is 100% correct. That would certainly explain how people who can't spell "PCs" are able to read his book and pass with a decent score.

But unlike a braindump that just gives you EXACT test answers and questions, his book does more than test prep. You actually come out understanding what you read and study. That is why I have no problem saying this is the best study guide out there for this exam.

If you do not have basic comprehension (reading or otherwise) skills, then this book (or any book) will not help you.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed!!!... with an 827 ... not exactly the score I was looking for, but it works and it's not a bad score by any means.

It wasn't easy though... I never went to sleep last night until it was sometime between 6-7AM got a bit more than 2 hours sleep. Because studying sessions that went well into 5-7am frequently this past week, my schedule was really out of whack. Also Caitlin was acting like a gremlin all night, so I wouldn't have got much sleep anyhow. I woke up and got some coffee, showered and walked the dog, and I was soooooo dragging.

So the first 20+ questions, I was still asleep and was second guessing every question. I felt like a zombie on botnet at this point and couldn't focus, along with the questions / answers seeming vague. I marked for review probably 30+. I finished the test with 10 minutes left after cautiously proceeding and reading some questions and the answers multiple times.

While I was reviewing the marked questions, I felt more comfortable with my initial selection, only changed one before time ran out on me. I really felt there was a good chance I had failed, since some the the wording didn't seem recognizable, some questions came up I don't feel were covered in the depth-detail necessary by the DG book. That isn't a knock on the reference, I enjoyed using it and an easy read. However I noticed terms and technology on the test was a little more in depth in areas, that the reference did not cover or go into.

So in previous exams after I clicked "yes" to end the exam, it would post my score immediately as pass or fail. This exam didn't do this with me this time, and went straight to the survey, which added to my fear that I had failed. Once I completed the survey it finally showed that I had passed and I was so relieved!

Thanks for everyones support on the TE forums!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Thanks for everyones support on the TE forums!

Man, considering the night you had, as well as lil Caitlin keeping you up, you did f'ing great!!

CONGRATS is most certainly in order....welcome to the club, my good man! Remember, your 827 is the same as my 870 which is the same as someone's 750....it's a friggin pass!!! icon_thumright.gif

Welcome to the Club!
  • K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    The Net+ did that to me, end the test and makes you take a friggin survey of 15 questions before it even tells you pass or fail. Maybe its how they make sure you take it? Though I was tempted to just say no answer on all of em to just get to the results!
    Congrats on the pass!
    The Net+ did that to me, end the test and makes you take a friggin survey of 15 questions before it even tells you pass or fail. Maybe its how they make sure you take it? Though I was tempted to just say no answer on all of em to just get to the results!

Both A+'s and Net+ did that. Sec+ didn't. The only thing that I can think of is that A+ and Net+ were Vue and Sec+ was at prometric. Not sure though.
    I remember that I had the survey AFTER I hit submit or whatever it was.....I got the Congratulations, then I had survey.

My testing center was Prometric....the actual Prometric center in Manhattan, NYC.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    The pattern looks consistent folks. Prometric gives results before survey. Vue does it after survey. Mine was also Vue.
    The pattern looks consistent folks. Prometric gives results before survey. Vue does it after survey. Mine was also Vue.

I definitely remember that. That was the longest 2-5 seconds that I could remember....it felt like everything was in slow motion from the time I clicked submit (or whatever) to the time I read the the congrats...that's why I'm sure. Then had the survey... :)
  • kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man!! Sounds like the exact experience I had with the Sec+ the other day. Marked about 20 for review and went back and changed about two answers. Clicked submit and crossed my fingers! icon_wink.gif What's next?
    I was brain dead when I first posted this... I actually posted it on another thread I was reviewing when I got home. Then went and changed my sig, and tried to review my post on this actual thread and I was like Waaaaaaaaa??? Where did it go?

Had to copy/paste it off the other thread in the MS forum and delete that reply in that forum. lol

I sure if anyone read in they were like ...what the...?

Anyways... I'm torn a bit as to what to start on next. I had an HR rep for company call me and it was all about Linux in a SOC ... I told him up front it wasn't my specialty, but I did some things in school with it and familiar with the command line. It sounded like he needed someone to walk in and produce, so we both agreed it wasn't a good match. He suggested getting the skill(s) added to my resume, and I didn't think anything of it until that conversation.

I had planned on getting something in MS and leaning that way, maybe 70-680. I'm a field grunt, and getting certs just to make myself more marketable... so what would you all suggest I pick up next?

What turns me on about 70-680 is I would only need 2 more after that to get an MCSA, since I have the CompTIA certs for the elective. So that was kind of my game plan a while back. Ultimately, I want to sit for the ICND2 again to complete my CCNA. I have a couple of years left on my CCENT. So if I had to say ... what's next ... SLEEP would be next! sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the Pass!
    If I was you I'd get the CCNA done and then do the MCSA but then again the order is really unimportant. Having both those on your resume will definitely make you more marketable. I'm doing the CCNA after I complete the MCITP:EA but that's just the order I have due to needing to complete the MCITP to graduate WGU.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    If I was you I'd get the CCNA done and then do the MCSA but then again the order is really unimportant. Having both those on your resume will definitely make you more marketable.

I disagree, you can always get a CCNA. While there is currently no end in site on the MCSA, you certainly don't want to be stuck with half of a certification. Not to mention, that the sooner you get your CCNA the sooner that you need to renew it.
    I disagree, you can always get a CCNA. While there is currently no end in site on the MCSA, you certainly don't want to be stuck with half of a certification. Not to mention, that the sooner you get your CCNA the sooner that you need to renew it.

+1 my thinking
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    My .02, the CCNA is a great cert to have if you study properly for it. It isn't Security+; you have to actually properly perform commands to get the material to stick. Not to mention know how to subnet by hand (YES, BY HAND!!! No subnetting calculators until after you get your CCNA...lol.)

If you aren't going into networking, then you should stay on the MS route. Too often folks go for stuff like the CCNA, CCNP, etc, and then find out that working in a NOC isn't what they want to do. The same can be said about MS....they would rather work on switches and routers than do servers.

Don't chase what's "marketable." That's not wise. "Chase" what you want to do. If it's Linux, (as much as I love the penguin.....icon_rolleyes.gif) study for that. If it's MS, study for that, if it's the CCNA, study for that. But do it because it's something YOU want to do....not because it will get you more money/will make you marketable.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    ... you have to actually properly perform commands to get the material to stick. Not to mention know how to subnet by hand (YES, BY HAND!!! No subnetting calculators until after you get your CCNA...lol.)

I can execute "magic number" and all the parameters without a problem at all. That is how I got the CCENT, I took the 822 and the SIMS is what killed me. I felt very comfortable with the straight forward questions, but I had multiple SIMS and they just killed me... asking me to do it on the fly, was too much for me, I will come back to it... I have two more years.
    If you aren't going into networking, then you should stay on the MS route. Too often folks go for stuff like the CCNA, CCNP, etc, and then find out that working in a NOC isn't what they want to do. The same can be said about MS....they would rather work on switches and routers than do servers.

I feel networking is in my viens, pulsating from node to node, as the oceans tide ebbs back and forth...
    But do it because it's something YOU want to do....not because it will get you more money/will make you marketable .

... In this economy one has to be well diversed and a jack of all trades... CCNA and MCSA are both wonderful certs to hold, even better together. I think I will take the next year or 18 months and try to complete the MCSA and then finish off the CCNA.

The knowlege I gained in the Cisco Networking Academy... 8 years later the knowledge I gained from getting the CCENT AND sitting for the 822, is embedded in me forever (well at least for two more years-which is when I need to "up" the Cisco certification). So in the short term it might be better to fill in something with MS.

Great feedback and candid feedback -- Thanks so much!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Congrats fieldmonkey!icon_thumright.gif

Bravo my friend....
    ... In this economy one has to be well diversed and a jack of all trades... CCNA and MCSA are both wonderful certs to hold, even better together. I think I will take the next year or 18 months and try to complete the MCSA and then finish off the CCNA.

The knowlege I gained in the Cisco Networking Academy... 8 years later the knowledge I gained from getting the CCENT AND sitting for the 822, is embedded in me forever (well at least for two more years-which is when I need to "up" the Cisco certification). So in the short term it might be better to fill in something with MS.

Great feedback and candid feedback -- Thanks so much!

My shop is a large one...the organization is not necessarily large, but the IT shop definitely is. I do recognize that a lot of organizations want a JOAT, and that's why I'm going into IT management.... :)

I do not disagree with you and I was not aware of your background (you probably said it in another thread that I didn't read OR maybe I glanced over it when you did....if you did mention it, my apologies).

There is still demand for just networking folks, especially in New England..."Bah-stahn" in particular. Of course that CCENT is gonna need to turn into a CCNA and perhaps a CCNP at some point, but Boston is still great for IT, hands down! (Though I'm by a better place, NYC, but I do know Boston is nice for IT work, but I hate the cold....bad enough in Jersey....it's worst in NE!).

I do like your plan though and it sounds like you do have one. You should have no problem doing what you have/need to do.
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif !
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    gratz man!

I have a few questions for security+
    Please if someone can help me here.

Security+ = 2 exams?
    SY0-201, JK0-015 ?

I read members pay less for the exams, members are comptia certified? Or is some other membership?

Is it better to buy a voucher or pay directly for the exam? How much usually vouchers save you?

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this.
    Thank you for your time.
    meh