Options

Quit my job! - longish post with no real point :-)

Well as some of you know I've been pussy footing around for pretty much the last year looking for a new role. I've had a few interviews and had a couple of offers which I turned down and the others I didn’t get for various reasons.

Anyways I've got to the stage where I'm standing still in my current role and the time to move on has come regardless. So 2 weeks ago I handed in my notice (I'm on an 8 week notice period and no that's not uncommon this side of the pond at my level) interestingly a colleague of mine also quit at the same time, I knew this was coming though.

My boss has been stunned to say the least icon_wink.gif My colleagues resignation has been accepted without question (there are various reasons why and none of them critical of my colleague).
However my boss has since been trying to negotiate with me to stay and take a career break instead, including dangling a few carrots that he knows I'd like. Normally that would be a good thing but I know he's only trying to protect his little empire and the carrots won't happen. To be honest I was struggling to come to terms with this option as I don't intend to come back and he knows this.
So the last couple of days I've been doing a little internal struggling and then the penny finally dropped. I don’t actually owe him anything.

So I've requested a 4 month career break starting from end of Nov with the first 3 weeks as paid leave this includes my entitlement accrued while I'm on my career break lol

He can either accept that and pay me or not and I still leave and only get paid for about 1 weeks leave that I'm entitled too icon_smile.gif

For him he gets to keep my position on the books and get a contractor in to fill-in until such a time as I return or don't as the case may be. Then gets to call me a few names etc but wtf who cares then. My references etc are all in order so no worries on that front.

Oh and for those that are still reading my plans for the future simple :-
I'm heading to Vietnam where swmbo is going to teach and I may get a job while I'm there if I feel the need and\or can. My options are pretty open at this stage. I may just use the time out to go for that IE\other certs or just lie on beach :)

And should the worst happen and I do need to come back to the UK I have a job in the bank win-win for me all round I'd say.

And breath.........
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)