Hello

PointyPointy Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
After failing the exam 5 times, I had the brilliant idea of looking for a forum that will help me account for my complete lack of on-the-job experience. This forum seems like exactly the place. Hello, everyone :).

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    well first off i can say invest in some equipment routers and switches to make a lab. second get some good reading material most ppl would say that sybex is good for ccna studies ( i will vouch for that icon_cool.gif ) third try to get in a job roll where u could get something of a drop of experience whether it be contracting/temp work. fourth welcome and ask away i think we all will help to answer your questions.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • PointyPointy Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been using the self-study CCNA guide by Wendell Odom as my only source of information, which was part of my problem. Once I looked online and started connecting all the dots, it made a lot more sense to me.

As for making a home lab - I'd love to, just need to get an income first icon_cry.gif.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seriously, 5 times at 125 bucks a pop is kind of high. You could have had an ISDN simulator several routers and a switch.
  • Bulldog1875Bulldog1875 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    1 - Welcome aboard.! This is a good bunch here.

2 - If you haven't yet done so, I'd suggest some fault analysis to determine what needs major area needs to be improved so you can pass. You've burned some serious cash! Ouch!
  • PointyPointy Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any idea on how best to determine what parts I need to work on more?
  • williamwbishopwilliamwbishop Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tunerX wrote:
    Seriously, 5 times at 125 bucks a pop is kind of high. You could have had an ISDN simulator several routers and a switch.

I'm with him on this. go ahead and bite the bullet the first time. Although you can really do this with something like CCNP simulator by boson(works beautifully), there is nothing quite like a small lab. I built mine for a couple hundred dollars. I've got 5 routers (2501x3), 2502,2504, all the crossover db60 cables and a 1924 enterprise switch. All for 200 including shipping. Of course it took a few weeks, and I had to hunt deals, but overall, not bad.
  • Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    you got all of that for $200??? Where from?
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pointy wrote:
    I've been using the self-study CCNA guide by Wendell Odom as my only source of information, which was part of my problem. Once I looked online and started connecting all the dots, it made a lot more sense to me.

As for making a home lab - I'd love to, just need to get an income first icon_cry.gif.

You need to read other books. Have you tried the Sybex book from Todd Lammle? It's a good book!!! Much easier to read then the Odom books. Test sims are also very important. Transcender, TestOut, PrepLogic, LearnKey are good to have. Best of Luck next time around.
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
    viper75 wrote:
    Pointy wrote:

You need to read other books. Have you tried the Sybex book from Todd Lammle? It's a good book!!! Much easier to read then the Odom books. Test sims are also very important. Transcender, TestOut, PrepLogic, LearnKey are good to have. Best of Luck next time around.

I can vouch for the transcender, I've certed several MS and the first time I was cisco with them. They are awesome. Read the questions and the answers thoroughly, don't fall into the trap of breezing through them once you know the answers.
    Fu Loser wrote:
    you got all of that for $200??? Where from?

Ebay.
  • sunny_evandersunny_evander Member Posts: 126
    Pointy wrote:
    After failing the exam 5 times, I had the brilliant idea of looking for a forum that will help me account for my complete lack of on-the-job experience. This forum seems like exactly the place. Hello, everyone :).

5 times icon_eek.gif ... what did u get in the exams? May be difficult sims or may be ACL's ? isnt it ? Why dont you try to break a bigger problem into 2 smaller problems and then try and finish one at a time

icon_exclaim.gif Go for CCNA Intro first and when you pass it go ahead for the ICND exam. I think that would be a better idea
    :santa: