Options

Advice regarding MCITP courses

han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there ,

I m willing to do the MCITP Enterprise Administrator. I have the CCNA and some work experience in a hosting company and have been offered a position a new NHS department . They need sombody to design the whole network and the IT suite for that department as it consists of about 30 PC's .

My query is :
1-Do you think that having the CCNA and MCITP with some of my work knowledge will be enough to do the job ?

2-I understand that to get the Enterprise Adminstartor , I need to pass 5 exams of 640,642,643,647 and 680. However , the NTI at Kingstone University offer slitly different path which is :640,642,646and 685 . I need to if they are good providers and what sort of certfication would I get having that combination .

Regards

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 640, 642, and 646 will give you the MCITP:SA (Systems Administrator)
    The 70-685, If combined with the 70-680 will give you another MCITP the Enterprise Destop Support Technician

I'd advise doing a lot of after work time resaerching. It's not a big network so you might be ok.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    wow, hehehe.. CCNA and MCITP certs is too much for this. Besides, before you finish your MCITP, it will take you 6 months to 1 year depends on your knowledge and study habit. Also, this 640,642,646 and 685 will not get you the MCITP EA. The 640, 642 and 646 will give you an MCITP Server Admin title.
  • Options
    Many thanks for the reply , and just wanted to mention that they expext me to give some advise on cabling and inerior needs for the job . The actiual job will start in Sep 2011 as the building is still under construction .

Any extrta advice on what else I need to have and if you recommend any other Training providers .

Regards
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    30 pcs? Bah, that's nothing. They give you budget yet? Doesn't matter, you got this!

Concerning them building a building. The contractors will offer you either CAt5e or Cat6. You just need to know where the desks, servers, WAPs are going to be.
    Here is the info you need
    Compare the Cat5e vs Cat6 Cabling Standard

Nothing wrong with CCNA, and MCITP:Server admin. But what's going to also really help you is a strong mind for their needs. Really try and get the customer's needs into your head.

Is there going to be a VOIP system in place?

Anyhow, if you really have to do it all.
    CCNA: Security
    CCNA: Voice
    Cisco ASA Foundations
    MCITP: Server admin 2008
    MCITP: Enterprise Support tech

Sounds like you might have the time to do it too! Grab yourself a one year subscription to CBTNuggets and start building your lab.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Man I was responsible for a network of 30 PCs and 4 Servers when I didn't have any cert and with less than one year experience.

It's not a tough job, but getting the certificates will certainly help you in the future and combining MCITP and CCNA is a good idea.
  • Options
    I know 30 PC's is not a lot , however I dont have any work experience in server environment , and that’s why I wanted to do the MCITP , the basic requirement will be a server for the database using File Maker Pro and a backup , I’m not sure what other servers I would need ,. I would love to have an advice from experts like you .

I dont know if they need VOIP yet .
    Regarding the Training, they only wanted to sponsor the File maker Pro course and I would be paying for the other training if needed . In addition, is it not too much to consider all those training that you mentioned on top of the MCITP and File Maker Pro ??

Any training provider you recommend??
    Regards