Fibre Cable for Catalyst 2950C

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

I have a C2950C Switch which has 2 100baseFX uplink ports.

I am looking at purchasing a 3640 router, then get a Fibre NM for it.

From what I have read I could get a NM-1FE-FX for the 3640, however I see this i actually EOL and I should be using NM-1FE-FX V2. Is this correct?
I believe it's the actual IOS version that will determine if I can install V2 or not, and will the 3640 support this card ok?

I'm also looking at what cable I will need to connect the switch and route together, but not to sure what I am looking for. There are quite a few different cable ends out there for FIBRE. Could someone point me in the right direction for the cable I should be using?

Thanks

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    I'm also looking at what cable I will need to connect the switch and route together, but not to sure what I am looking for. There are quite a few different cable ends out there for FIBRE. Could someone point me in the right direction for the cable I should be using?

Thanks

It depends on the switch, a picture of your switch would help determine what you need exactly. Its mostly SC or LC that needs to plug into the switch. Also depending on the router you might have to get fiber with one connecter on one end and another on the other end of it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    Priston wrote: »
    It depends on the switch, a picture of your switch would help determine what you need exactly. Its mostly SC or LC that needs to plug into the switch. Also depending on the router you might have to get fiber with one connecter on one end and another on the other end of it.

It's just the standard Catalyst 2950C Cisco Switch which has the 2 100baseFX ports.

If I was to get a Fibre Card, whats the difference between these (Single Mode and V2

NM-1FE-FX-V2 -One-port Fast Ethernet, revision 2, (100BaseFX interface)
    NM-1FE-SMF- One-port Fast Ethernet (100BaseFX Single Mode Fiber interface)

My aim is to have a Fibre NM installed in my 3640 and to hook this up the uplink ports on my 2950 switch.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    A 3640 with a NM-1FE-FX connected to a 2950C would need a MT-RJ to SC fiber patch cable.
  • controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
    What's the difference between the following and why would you chose one over the other? Can anyone explain?

Thanks

NM-1FE-FX-V2
    One-port Fast Ethernet network module (10/100Base Fiber only)
    NM-1FE-SMF
    One-port Fast Ethernet network module (10/100Base Single Mode Fiber only)