Options

Best online IT degree

rmdunbar1990rmdunbar1990 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am sure this has been posted a lot, but I have searched the forum forever, and cannot find a post related to it.

I am interested and ready to start my online studies for a BS in IT, preferably in Networking or something similar.

I am very confused about what school to look into. I want a regionally accredited school that has a very good completely online program. Best of being in a lower economic situation, I get a very decent financial package, so money isn't truly an issue. but at the same time I don't wanna spend an arm and a leg, which I know online schools usually cost.

I am familiar with UOP, Devry, CTU, WGU etc. But I really don't know what sets any of these apart, except I know a few use LabSim to teach. Anyone familiar with American Public?

So overall I am looking for top notch online. When I graduate I would love to be able to walk up to a computer system and doing anything with it, from just online learning.

Anyone know of anywhere that meets my requirements.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Quite a lot of folks on here go to WGU. Check this thread out >> IT Jobs / Degrees - TechExams.net IT Certification Forums And welcome to the forums!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off welcome to TE!
    The thing about IT is that you learn the most from doing and no matter what program you choose you will have a lot of self study to learn what you need to know to work in IT. WGU is an excellent program (I'm enrolled there and in my last term before graduating) but you will only get out of it what you put in. If you are not already employed in IT I would recommend you do your best to get a helpdesk job as early as possible while going for your degree.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm attending WGU so I'm bias towards them. My recommendation is to go with a college/university that best suits your circumstances.

Also, if you can attend a B&M (Brick and Mortar) Uni/College then take that route. If that won't work for you than start looking for Online Only options.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    First off welcome to TE!
    The thing about IT is that you learn the most from doing and no matter what program you choose you will have a lot of self study to learn what you need to know to work in IT. WGU is an excellent program (I'm enrolled there and in my last term before graduating) but you will only get out of it what you put in. If you are not already employed in IT I would recommend you do your best to get a helpdesk job as early as possible while going for your degree.

Agreed, it's getting harder and harder to find IT jobs with the economy so get your foot in door as soon as you can.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm also enrolled at WHY. I looked at them and UAT. Any college can have online classes but what I looked for was respectability within the IT field, price and possibility of certification either from the class or ability to correspond the class to a cert. I have a few friends that went to DeVry and only 1 is worth anything as a IT person. Another friend is finishing up at Kaplan and although he has a basic knowledge of networking I wouldn't hire him as an admin. Also get an IT job ASAP as experience is always looked at first and heaviest. Good Luck with whatever path you choose.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    I'm also enrolled at WHY. I looked at them and UAT. Any college can have online classes but what I looked for was respectability within the IT field, price and possibility of certification either from the class or ability to correspond the class to a cert. I have a few friends that went to DeVry and only 1 is worth anything as a IT person. Another friend is finishing up at Kaplan and although he has a basic knowledge of networking I wouldn't hire him as an admin. Also get an IT job ASAP as experience is always looked at first and heaviest. Good Luck with whatever path you choose.

At WHY?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You'll notice that WGU is very popular on this forum. A few reasons for that:
    • WGU is regionally accredited
    • Several certifications are included with your degree, giving added credibility to you and your degree
    • tuition is around $3k per 6 months
    • if you have the time and energy for it, you can finish a B.S. much faster than 5 years
    I was going to go to a local university after I finish my A.S., but they charge $3,600 for one semester (12 credit hours flat, no opportunity to push beyond that without forking out even more money).

Whatever you go with, I suggest making sure the school is regionally accredited.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    At WHY?
    He's at WGU...lol
    Looks like a typo
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    He's at WGU...lol
    Looks like a typo

I think Veritas knew that......wanted to point out to ED the typo. :)
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I am probably going to do my Bachelor's in Business instead of IT. I have been in this field long enough that I am not patient about being taught things I already know. I have yet to see someone in IT that really benefited technically from the degree. As I start looking to IT management as my next step, I realize that in management you do far more traditional work. Cost / benefit, lifecycle, plans and programs, etc. Which is what many Business degrees are focused on.

I am not trying to insult anyone who currently holds, or is trying to get, a BS in IT.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At WHY?

Sorry, fat fingers on small EVO with spell check active means mistakes sometimes.....lol.
  • Options
    eansdad wrote: »
    Sorry, fat fingers on small EVO with spell check active means mistakes sometimes.....lol.

I figured you meant WGU but I wasn't sure. You had me googling WHY and only getting the Webster's definition icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am probably going to do my Bachelor's in Business instead of IT. I have been in this field long enough that I am not patient about being taught things I already know. I have yet to see someone in IT that really benefited technically from the degree. As I start looking to IT management as my next step, I realize that in management you do far more traditional work. Cost / benefit, lifecycle, plans and programs, etc. Which is what many Business degrees are focused on.

I am not trying to insult anyone who currently holds, or is trying to get, a BS in IT.

I don't feel insulted at all, especially since my course of studies touches upon many of the things you discuss (not to mention, my current and past experience... ;) ).

In fact, I felt (and feel) the same way about a BS in Business (unless it's one of those that's tied into an accelerated MBA program). An IT BS will validate the knowledge I already have plus get me in the door for a senior level position to IT management.

I no longer will settle for anything less than a senior level position...I've done that for too long already.