Options

My interVLAN project is working but....

jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
My interVLAN project is working fine on Cisco switches. I use Cisco 3560 8 port as my core switch for my interVLAN via SVI. My Cisco Access switch are all 2960 and I already configured the VLANs, VTP and STP. My problem is, I have 3 hp Procurve 2610 switches and I want to connect and configure this hp procurve for VLAN. They buy this procurve for Avaya IP Phone using the PoE (cost cutting). Can I join the procurve's in my VTP domain for automatic VLAN creation? Are the CLI commands for this Procurve different from Cisco. Because I read a topic that trunk in Procurve has different meaning with Cisco trunking.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jojopramos,

If I'm not mistaking... VTP is Cisco proprietary and therefore you will not be able to use it on your HP Procurve switches. You'll have to manually create the Vlans on each procurve switch. Another thing to watch out for is your STP. Be careful not to use the Rapid-PVST because that too is Cisco proprietary. I would suggest you use MST if you're going to have the HP switches participating in spanning-tree. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Thanks peanutnoggin. Yeah, that is what I understand on VTP also, that this is a Cisco proprietary. I downloaded some configuration manuals for hp Procurve and I will try to figure out how to configure this thing. The configuration that I need to accomplish right now are to configure my Avaya IP phone to be in VLAN 30 and to configure different departments to diff VLAN. If that is Cisco products, I will have no problem with that. Now, I will be in the reading mode for a moment. Hope I will not mess theprocurve config.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I do believe that in the ProCurve world, trunking actually refers to Link Aggregation (Etherchannel). The equivalent of what Cisco calls trunks are called "tagged" ports in the HP world.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    I do believe that in the ProCurve world, trunking actually refers to Link Aggregation (Etherchannel). The equivalent of what Cisco calls trunks are called "tagged" ports in the HP world.

Yeah, thats what I also read in the manual. The problem here is that I dont know if I can assign each interface like in Cisco because the as I am reading this manual, you just need to configure all interface with the VLAN you selected as tagged?
  • Options
    jojopramos wrote: »
    Yeah, thats what I also read in the manual. The problem here is that I dont know if I can assign each interface like in Cisco because the as I am reading this manual, you just need to configure all interface with the VLAN you selected as tagged?

According to the notes I made from the online HP ASE information, this is what you do

"To tag ports, go into vlan and do "tagged [interface]", rather than going into interface and doing switchport trunk allowed vlan x-y"

So say you wanted Vlans 5, 6 and 10 on interface a1, you would do

Vlan 5
    tagged a1

Vlan 6
    tagged a1

Vlan 10
    tagged a1

And if you want to do them as access VLANs, you would use "untagged [interface]", so if you wanted interface b2 to be in vlan 47, you would do

Vlan 47
    untagged b2

• Options
    so you are saying that if I want to trunk, i will issue a tagged command and if I want to create an access port, I will untagged it. HP is just confusing. the difficult part on that is I will add voice and access to each port for Avaya IP Phone and PC's.
  • Options
    For phones there is a voice vlan option. I'm not very good with voice as it is so I don't want to advise you too much.

In terms of HP being confusing, I dunno, its just different. Going into about 10 different non-contiguous ports to configure the same access VLAN seems a lot like hard work compared to going into 1 vlan and referencing 10 interfaces.

To be honest, it's kind of Ciscos fault that its confusing, because you aren't trunking a port, you are putting a VLAN tag on a port when you use 802.1q, so it actually makes a little more sense HPs way.

I'm not defending HP or anything, I've never really used them, but I can see why they do things the way they do.