Options

Resume help

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been asking alot of family/friends what they think of my resume. I've gotton some helpful feedback from them, but I'd really like some feedback from people in the IT field. I've uploaded my resume via .doc so you can take a look.
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually like the competitive assets section even though it is basically an objective section.
    I'd probably remove the high school for starters and I would expand more on the experience section for the IT job. What is POS? Provided what kind of support for how many users? Have your IT experience stick out more than your non-IT experience.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pretty good. I agree with earweed; the high school part is unnecessary. In the technical knowledge section I would probably get rid of the cable types. It is assumed that you've messed with several types of cabling based on the descriptions given in your IT technician position. For the hardware section, I would list the types of routers, and switches you used (vendor if it was somewhat enterprise). I would do the same for the "Antivirus" listed in software. The last thing I'd say is keep the tenses the same; the IT experience section is in more of a transitive state while the "Other experience" section is in a past tense.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    I'd look to get a second IT job to replace your older job listing.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I actually like the competitive assets section even though it is basically an objective section.
    I'd probably remove the high school for starters and I would expand more on the experience section for the IT job. What is POS? Provided what kind of support for how many users? Have your IT experience stick out more than your non-IT experience.
    I'll remove the high school part, I mainly had it there to fill in space. I'll also change the POS to "POS (Point of Sale)" as for how many users? I don't think that applies for what I do. Its just install/troubleshoot, and all of that is done pretty much on the physical layer of the OSI model. Which makes me think I should reword the part I put about Provide layer 1 support x.x we only got service calls and troubleshooting tickets when we were at Sams Club.
    Our company gets contracts to do work for other companies. Most of the jobs i've worked on are at retail stores. (Walmart/Sams, goodys, and a few other places)

Repo Man wrote: »
    I'd look to get a second IT job to replace your older job listing.
    *confused* That's why I'm working on my resume... So I can get a new/real IT job

I just have that job listed there to show I can work for the same company for 5 years.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA