Options

Sideways move

TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
I had an interview a few weeks ago and the original offer was below my current salary. I was able to negotiate up to the same salary. I was wondering if a move sideways from my current position as systems engineer to senior systems administrator would hurt my future. I am currently only weighing this out because I feel at this new position I may be forced to learn more. Currently I am learning just a small bit and idling.

The only thing holding me back is I feel rather bad leaving my current company because I am very respected within it. I was able to move from a sys admin to a systems engineer and add a +20k to my paycheck along with a training class. They paid for the training class which I may have to reimburse them for if I leave. (potential minus 5k) If i manage to stay August will be my 3 year mark with the current company.

I feel with my skills in linux plus I feel my social skills could lead my to greater positions (potential lead, etc) within the new company which has a large amount of projects. Any advice or addition would be greatly appreciated due to me being in serious contemplation mode.

Comments

• Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do companies feel bad when they layoff employees????
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ask your company to make you a senior sys admin and add a nice big raise or tell them to F off.

But on a serious note I don't move sideways. I only have so many years on this earth and the hassle of switching companies is only worthwhile if there is alot more in it for me than a job title switch. If you'r manager is the good type tell him you're being aggressivly head hunted and you're wondering if the company would sweeten your pot a bit.
  • Options
    TheSweetnessTheSweetness Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've taken lateral move opportunities within my current org because I knew I would gain knowledge, and be able to add that to my resume.

While looking for new employment I am working hard to find a position that is a definite career advancement. What's the point of jumping around and doing the same thing, all that shows is a lack of loyalty to an organization.

At the end of the day if you think you'll enjoy the new position more, go for it. Otherwise, if you're in no rush, hold out for something better.