Options

dident pass 70-646, suggestions?

mikestairsmikestairs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, (first post) i just took the 70-646 exam last week with not so positive results. i was using CBT nuggets and sybex's 70-646 book and felt really prepared. however once i started the test i quickly realized there were things in the exam that the above materials dident cover (Server 2008 R2 / win 7 etc)

i have booked my 2nd shot for Thursday, and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on study material

My results were: 612/1000

Planning server developmet
|====================____|

Planning server management
|===============__________|

Monitoring and maintaning servers
|========__________________|

Planning application and data provisioning
|=========================|

Planning for business continuity and high availablility
|==============____________|

would failing one of the above automatically fail me?
any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's is impossible to say for certain. I have a test score sheet that has one bar completely blank. I passed that exam, so I think the notion of failing due to a low score on one objective is probably false.

Make sure you look at the resources I posted for 2008 R2: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/58793-server-2008-r2-enterpise-server-admin-exams.html
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Did you take any practice exams first? I'd say study some more on what you know you need to work on and take a practice test before attempting it again.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Microsoft uses enigmatic scoring mechanisms for their exams so I've made some assumptions that have kept me from going mad. One, a particular category may have had as little as one or as many questions as Microsoft wanted to be associated with it. Having a 0% in one category could mean you randomly got one question for that objective but got it wrong. Second, I think Microsoft randomly weights the category's different to discourage cheating. For the category I mentioned earlier, on that particular exam it may have been worth a ful 15 points for example and on your 2nd shot it may only be weighted 5 points and thus getting it wrong hurts less.

I could be wrong of course but they make sense to me out of what really makes no sense. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    mikestairsmikestairs Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cool, thanks guys. think im going to reschedule, lots of stuff to read, was my first non pass, and really sucked. dont want to fail again.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This exam was really tough for me and I did pass but with very little score (the lowest indeed for me) I was prepared for 2 months.

Well I see you didn't read the MS Press book I strongly recommend that you read it and use the MeasureUp practice exam as well.

I think it's a good strategy to use MS books in addition to other books (like Sybex) but I wouldn't skip their books especially in exams like 646 or 647.

My advice is focus first on the things you didn't achieve well in and try to lab more, using videos alone could not be enough it's always better to try things not just observe it.

Regarding the score no one can tell for sure how it is measured so I wouldn't worry about it if you want my opinion. You score was really close to pass so you I think you'll do fine next time. Good Luck