Strange response

Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I applied for a job Support Desk Analyst I position recently. The HR representive sent me an email asking for my reasons I wanted this particular position, my current salary, and time to have a 30 minute phone interview.

I responded and stated I made 55,000 / year for question #2. I got an email back thanking me for my thoughtful and quick response, however my current salary is much more than the budgeted salary for the open position, therefore she did not want to continue with the phone interview.icon_rolleyes.gif I wasn't even asked if I would be willing to take a pay cut. Maybe she was just trying to be polite by telling me that instead of, "Piss off, we don't want you!".

So I need to get my foot in the door, but I am getting a door slammed in my face, not because of qualifications apparently...but because of my current salary. I need an entry-level position, but is this going to be a typical response...even if I am able to take the pay cut to switch careers?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typically companies will not allow you to take a pay cut because you may become disgruntled or demanding later on. It is a CTA move that allows them to get someone in with the skills they want under a budget. I do not answer the question what you make currently because it is none of their business. I instead tell them what I want or what I will accept.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with Chris. Most people are going to be pissed if they take any kind of pay cut so companies won't let that happen. I hardly ever list my current salary to positions due to me wanting to maintain a balance of power when dealing with recruiters.
  • Samurai004Samurai004 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think next time I will just tell them what I would be willing to accept. That is a pretty good idea. I just answered honestly because they specifically asked for it.

Thanks guys, hey Kevin are you wearing a cape now-a-days since you changed your name?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys, hey Kevin are you wearing a cape now-a-days since you changed your name?

I wish.....

Hey are you going to be at D and B's on the 30th? http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/58829-dayton-cincinnati-oahio-area-member-social-2.html#post463484

I don't even tell them what I am willing to accept. Make them tell you the range first then decided if you want to continue. It is a two way street with recruiters and it is easy to let them rail road you into thinking that they have all the power. You are the commodity, don't forget that.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well sometimes you can't be honest, if you are planning a pay cut then negotiate what they have to offer. Good luck for you
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I never give a salary history, even when asked. I have probably lost job opportunities but with background checks and credit checks some things should be left holy. If you listed the pay and I applied, then you can assume that I am OK with the pay. It actually makes me a little angry when they ask, it isn't any of there business.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no exact science to interviewing. On one hand you don't want to under sell yourself on the other you don't want to price yourself outside the market.

If you are making 55k a year doing another position completely that you worked your way up to, then I would be conscienious of that. If it is in the same field, but a different genre of IT, then I think I would of mentioned the pay. And obviously if it is the same exactly job duty I would always mention it if they asked.

To be honest this is something I haven't even thought of until now so this is a good post. Thanks for the heads up.