Newbie saying Hi

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've used the forums for my other certs. I've decided im tired of system administration and have always loved networking. I'm currently taking the Cisco Academy at the local college. I found it was a great way to push me into studying again.

I've been reading the posts and amd working on creating a lab that will allow me to go to CCNP. I did purchase some older equipment this weekend (3x2500 and 1 2610 router, 1x2900, 1 x 3500 switches) all for 100.00 bucks. Like many others I purchased before reading. I still think I did ok on the price and figure I can use the 2500s for Frame Relay.

I am currently looking at getting a couple 2610xm rotuers, a couple 2950's and maybe a 3550 switch.

Any other suggestions for equipment? I have read some get the 1720 routers. As for reading material I am using the cisco books and online material with my class. Any other material I should pick up?
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You'll probably want some sort of access server solution.

The Cisco 2509 has 8 lines or the 2511 16 lines are AUI Ethernet (you need a transceiver). The Cisco 2510 (8 lines) or the 2512 (16 lines) are the old Token Ring models. It's convenient to have your access server available on your network so that you can telnet from your PC to the access server IP and port number (associated with a specific line/device console port) without having to log in to the access server (though it's still good to know how to do that and move between the various console sessions).

You can also look at the NM-16A/S (or even the NM-32A/S) -- just make sure it's supported by the router you to host that module (2600, 2600XM, 3620, 3640, 3725, 3745, etc).

There have been rumors of non-Cisco solutions (Cyclades Console/Access Server 48 ports for under $100 on eBay -- but be prepared to make your own cables) . . . . .

If you're looking at the 1700 series routers, look at the 1721. The 1720 is a good little router, but even though it has FastEthernet it doesn't support trunking (or Router On A Stick) or as much memory as the 1721. The 1760 is rack mount and can be used for Cisco Voice.

And you can sometimes find the 2650XM (1 Fast Ethernet) or 2651XM (2 Fast Ethernet) routers cheaper than the "slower" 262xXM and 261xXM models since a lot of people don't bother to search on eBay for them.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You'll probably want some sort of access server solution.

The Cisco 2509 has 8 lines or the 2511 16 lines are AUI Ethernet (you need a transceiver). The Cisco 2510 (8 lines) or the 2512 (16 lines) are the old Token Ring models. It's convenient to have your access server available on your network so that you can telnet from your PC to the access server IP and port number (associated with a specific line/device console port) without having to log in to the access server (though it's still good to know how to do that and move between the various console sessions).

All three of my 2500's have the AUI ethernet. Two have dual serial ports and one has a single serial port. I connected all three together via serial and have the setup per the lab for class equipment.

Thanks for the input on the 2600 routers.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action