New to Forum and New to Networking

andy0203andy0203 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

Great Forum!!
I am new to Networking and computers. Just started a career change at 52. I therefore have no pratical experience. Recently passed A+ MCP.
Now studing for CCNA (self study). Networking is really interesting but hard to remember, or is that an age thing? Anyway hope to carve out a career in networking, hope that age and no experience wont be too much of a barrier.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Welcome Andy,

Not having sufficient experience is something we all have to deal with the first couple of years. Age may be a barrier for some jobs or companies, but you're still young compared to some of our members who successfully made a career change.
    therefore have no pratical experience.
    That's what makes it harder to remember. Especially for CCNA it is important to get hands-on with Cisco equipment (ie. some used ones from Ebay, check some of the many topics about homelabs in this forum).

Good luck and have fun!
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Welcome aboard!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome!!!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to IT!

I changed careers last year and had the exact same concerns you do. My fears turned out to be without merit. I'm 43 (I look 60) and was worried about being looked over because of my age and lack of exerience. Don't let it stop you - push on. I earned my MCSE and started sending out resumes. I found a job within 6 weeks, and making a little more money than I was in my old career. I don't think your age will hurt much at all, I think that an employer sees great character in someone who is willing to take the risk, expense and hard work that it takes to change careers - and those are very attractive attributes.