Options

I blew it

-Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
Here's the short story: I had an interview, and got there late, and they said 'sorry, you won't be interviewed.'

Long story: I applied for a systems administrator position, and got a call the next day to set up an interview. Set up the time, and planned to give myself plenty of time to get there. It was about 40 miles away, but it is a city that I go to 1-2 times a month at least, so I'm pretty familiar with the traffic. Well, there was some road construction that slowed me way down, and I ended up being about 7 minutes late.
When I walked in, I went to the receptionist and told her I was there for an interview, she said 'I'm sorry, your interview started at 2:00, and you missed it. The hiring manager is very strict.' I tried to explain what happened, but she said he was already gone.
I guess it's my fault, I should have been on time, but I am kind of surprised that they didn't even interview me. My wife didn't want me working that far away anyway, so maybe it's a good thing.

Also, it looks like the position is back open, so they haven't hired anyone else. I'm debating about re-applying, but I think i'll just let it go.

Comments

• Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It might be worth re-applying. But that depends on how bad you want the job. In your circumstance, I would have called them to let them know that there was road construction that you were not aware of previously. Sometimes (not always) people are more understanding if you at least give them some type of update. When you just show up late and tell them there was traffic,or something else, it makes it seem like it was just a last minute excuse for being late. I do agree that 7 minutes is not much time, but some places are more strict than others. Good luck in the future.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Seconding calling them in advance to let them know you're stuck in traffic. I'm much more accommodating if I know someone is stuck due to a situation out of their hands. If you don't call, though, its purely speculative.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Seconding calling them in advance to let them know you're stuck in traffic. I'm much more accommodating if I know someone is stuck due to a situation out of their hands. If you don't call, though, its purely speculative.

Exactly!

Why wouldn't you call them in advance?! I've actually had to do this before.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    Here's the short story: I had an interview, and got there late, and they said 'sorry, you won't be interviewed.'

Long story: I applied for a systems administrator position, and got a call the next day to set up an interview. Set up the time, and planned to give myself plenty of time to get there. It was about 40 miles away, but it is a city that I go to 1-2 times a month at least, so I'm pretty familiar with the traffic. Well, there was some road construction that slowed me way down, and I ended up being about 7 minutes late.
    When I walked in, I went to the receptionist and told her I was there for an interview, she said 'I'm sorry, your interview started at 2:00, and you missed it. The hiring manager is very strict.' I tried to explain what happened, but she said he was already gone.
    I guess it's my fault, I should have been on time, but I am kind of surprised that they didn't even interview me. My wife didn't want me working that far away anyway, so maybe it's a good thing.

Also, it looks like the position is back open, so they haven't hired anyone else. I'm debating about re-applying, but I think i'll just let it go.

It's bad form to turn up for an interview late. If anything you should get there early and plan to be there early leaving plenty of slack for those sorts of difficulties. You want to show up there about 15 - 30 minutes before the interview so you can speak to the busy receptionist in good time and settle back in the chair and get yourself together.

If you were running late you should have pulled over and called in. I can understand it 10 years ago with the payphone problem on route but with mobile phones these days theres just no excuse. Even if you dont have one there's an expectation that you will.

All that said, 7 minutes is a little sharp to be tanked so in hindsight you are probably best off out of there. I would have given you 15 minutes because *stuff* can happen.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Paul Boz wrote: »

Also in agreement with this. I would give you some slack for a legit reason. If the hiring manager wouldn't you probably don't want to work for that guy anyway.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Things do happen. On my current job, the night before the interview my entire electrical system died on the freeway. I ended up in a ditch and had to be winched out and car towed in for repair. I immediately called the prospective employer and left VM letting them know what had happened, and that I could not make the 7am interview the next morning.

The co. president called me the next morning, checking on my welfare. Asked when the car would be ready. I told him at 2pm. Good, come see me at 4. Went to the interview and got the job offer two days later.

Like everyone has said, CALL! Most people would be understanding.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Yeah, I probably should have called. I didn't have a number for anyone at the company though, I even checked the email they sent, but it didn't have a number. I could have just called the main number I'm sure though and gotten the message to whoever needed it.

In any case, I may re-apply if it stays open for a while, or call them and see if they'll give me another chance, but I don't need the job, and it's further than my wife wants me to go anyway.

I thought about calling on the way, but I kept thinking 'I'm almost there, maybe I can make it'. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I've done this before, got lost and ended up late - needless to say I did not get the job! Nobody is perfect, sometimes luck is not on your side.

I walked out of an interview once because I thought it was dumb. They wanted me to play this game (Missionaries and Cannibals) and they kept asking me stupid questions when I didn't get it right. I was so irritated I terminated the interview. Later I went home and looked it up on Google, like the self respecting IT guy that I am.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have a long way to drive, check the traffic ahead of time. The traffic report on Google Maps is accurate (at least where I live), as are other websites, and it only takes a minute to check, so definitely check next time.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    IT NerdIT Nerd Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Re-apply.
    Make a statement on your behalf, come what may.
    You may not get the job, or yet it may be the start of your dream.
    If you don't apply, you'll only have the traffic and construction to look back on.
    At least know that the door is closed before you give up.
    If it gets that far and you still aren't sure, turn them down, but at least you'll know how it ends without a question mark.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had this happen to me about 6 years ago. Luckily since everybody else interviewing was from outside the city everybody else was late. I called to let them know I was running late even when I left to get there an hour early. Reason I get there an hour early is so I can sit in the parking lot, go over my notes and calm down and mentally prepare myself before I go inside.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I had this happen to me about 6 years ago. Luckily since everybody else interviewing was from outside the city everybody else was late. I called to let them know I was running late even when I left to get there an hour early. Reason I get there an hour early is so I can sit in the parking lot, go over my notes and calm down and mentally prepare myself before I go inside.

This is the best approach honestly. You may lose an hour of your time showing up an hour early but I'd rather lose an hour of my time than potentially lose an opportunity (or piss off a client) by showing up late.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
    I've done this before, got lost and ended up late - needless to say I did not get the job! Nobody is perfect, sometimes luck is not on your side.

I walked out of an interview once because I thought it was dumb. They wanted me to play this game (Missionaries and Cannibals) and they kept asking me stupid questions when I didn't get it right. I was so irritated I terminated the interview. Later I went home and looked it up on Google, like the self respecting IT guy that I am.

haha I was curious so I just played the game and it took me like 5 minutes to figure it out. Wow I feel stupid.
    WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
    In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
    Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
    Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

It's a logic game. I've played a version of this before. It took me about 12 mins, my gal did it in 4. Of course she is insanely smart and I am not.

We played the river boat version game.

The part I don't understand is why were they asking questions after you missed a question?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would have called in advance as well. It might be for the best though.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    N2IT wrote: »
    It's a logic game. I've played a version of this before. It took me about 12 mins, my gal did it in 4. Of course she is insanely smart and I am not.

We played the river boat version game.

The part I don't understand is why were they asking questions after you missed a question?

See, thats what really bothered me, I know why I got eaten by the darn flesh-eaters! I only spent about two minutes on it before I got hot under the collar. Looking back on it I would have handled it better, you live and learn.

Of course Google had the answer on the first hit.