Options

To School or not to School...

Ok, so I have over 10years of experience, I have only taken a few college courses because to be honest, I feel like I should be teaching the classes and I just hate spending money on something I am not getting any value out of.

So here is the delima. I have never had a problem getting job offers, I actually get 90k-120k offers all the time. So schooling defiantly hasn't held me back. I am currently working and I do a great job here.

So my question is, is it really worth going back to school?

The only reason I want to go back is if I decided to get into teaching... IE: out of computer industry all together. I really want to coach kids someday. The only other reason would be to get into Management.

The cost of 20-30k for a bachlors just doesnt really seem worth it considering the salary I make currently and moving into Management I would be making realistically the same salary unless I was able to step into a CIO position.

Anyone else a home grown computer guy too that might have some insight?

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I want a degree to make it easier to get into management. However, I have said it here before that lacking a BS has really not held me back. I think I will end up getting one as a good example to my future children.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If your only reason would be to get into teaching - college i presume - you need a masters. If you want it to be a career, you need a phd...so your investment in time and money would be substantially higher.

IMHO it isnt worth your time.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I went back mostly for the satisfaction of finishing something I started. Living in Chicago, I can't say its held me back because I make a decent living and actually just got a promotion with my 10 years of experience and minimal certifications. But there are some places that just won't look at you without one. If you're not having a hard time finding work because of that check box then I don't see a reason to go back for anything but wanting to do it. The classes I'm taking are pretty terrible as well, but I want to finish so I'm toughing it out. If you want to teach though, you don't really have a choice.

Chicago's job market can be tough though. There's just so many places that won't even look at you without one and nearly everyone around here has one.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I went back mostly for the satisfaction of finishing something I started. Living in Chicago, I can't say its held me back because I make a decent living and actually just got a promotion with my 10 years of experience and minimal certifications. But there are some places that just won't look at you without one. If you're not having a hard time finding work because of that check box then I don't see a reason to go back for anything but wanting to do it. The classes I'm taking are pretty terrible as well, but I want to finish so I'm toughing it out. If you want to teach though, you don't really have a choice.

Chicago's job market can be tough though. There's just so many places that won't even look at you without one and nearly everyone around here has one.

This sounds similar to the bay area job market.
  • Options
    superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What are you wanting to teach anyways? The qualifications will vary...But for college you would need a minimum of a Masters, but most look for PhDs.

For middle/high school, I'm pretty sure it's just any college degree + pass a test, at least here in GA. Elementary school requires a degree in education, but I'm not sure if those are the kids you want to be coaching or not - getting a little young there....

There is always the option many people are doing now just to get that BS or MS - an online school such as WGU. The tuition costs are cheaper, time investment isn't bad, especially if you have or can easily knock out the certs they want, etc. Some employers might not consider it as good as your traditional schools, but it's still accredited and could help you satisfy requirements that must be met (you'd still need to prove that you were qualified for the teaching position, but it sounds like that wouldn't be an issue).
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds just like me minus the $90k jobs. I went back to school to secure a place in the IT world. Currently civil service on NJ is a bad thing and I'm actually loosing money compared to previous years. Colleges usually require a Masters but you might get away with a BS and certs. For everything else you need a BS/BA and need to pass the praxis exam.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    TechJunky wrote: »
    Ok, so I have over 10years of experience, I have only taken a few college courses because to be honest, I feel like I should be teaching the classes and I just hate spending money on something I am not getting any value out of.

So here is the delima. I have never had a problem getting job offers, I actually get 90k-120k offers all the time. So schooling defiantly hasn't held me back. I am currently working and I do a great job here.

what are these certs:

ACSP, ACTC, SQL Certified, Phillips/GE Emergin System Administrator

i want 120k
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    fogsparkfogspark Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in a similar situation. I have 10 years experience and a handful of certs but never finished school. School for me is a plan B so I chip away a class here and there when I have time for it.

If I end up having a break in employment or needing a degree becasue I have to move to some kind of management role the theory is that I won't have as much work to do.

The downside is that in the time I spend on classes I could be teaching I could easily be rounding out some hard core certifications and making some serious progress on useful subjects on my own time.

The problem is that while geeking with stuff on my own might make me more effective it does not exist as a credential to HR departments screening applicants.

If you can't beat em join em I guess.
  • Options
    IT NerdIT Nerd Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TechJunky wrote: »

So my question is, is it really worth going back to school?

The only reason I want to go back is if I decided to get into teaching... IE: out of computer industry all together. I really want to coach kids someday. The only other reason would be to get into Management.

The cost of 20-30k for a bachlors just doesnt really seem worth it considering the salary I make currently and moving into Management I would be making realistically the same salary unless I was able to step into a CIO position.

Anyone else a home grown computer guy too that might have some insight?

Keep your job and go to school at night or online.
    After you have done that for a year, it will answer several questions for you. Am I dedicated enough to finish school once I start it? Have I had a change of heart since this post?
    You can eventually have those answers and still have a job if the answers aren't condusive to finishing school.

The reason you seem to get 90-120k offers all the time could be because you already have a job. Quit that job and you may not get another offer if you later change your mind about school.

Also, consider the financial aspects involved in finishing college, put numbers to it and see whether the number of years you have left until retirement and the cost of your education, and the salary of your new career will provide a return on your investment for going back to school.

Don't look at the initial cost, look at the return on your investment over the course of your career.

If you determine that once you pay for college, take a salary adjustment and determine your estimated income for the life of your new career, and the difference in money verses fulfillment is still worth it, then do it.

The bottom line questions you have to arrive at an answer to are, "What dollar amount am I willing to trade for a personally fullfilling career and happiness?" "If after I add up all the numbers and determine that it will cost me $40,000....$60,000.....$150,000....$500,000 over the course of my life to switch careers to one that fulfills me and makes me happy, what dollar amount am I willing to trade for myself and my own sense of purpose?"

If you can live with that dollar amount and still live comfortably financially, then the decision is clear. If you cannot live with the numbers and would rather trade a dream for a dollar amount, then the answer is also clear.

Just DO NOT quit your job until you are 100% sure that you will reach your new destination. If it's too hard to keep your job and finish school at the same time, then you're not yet fully committed to the new goal.

I've been where you are, so I'm not just shooting from the hip philosophically.

By the way, you might spread those offers around if you know someone is hiring. There are people who need jobs that would like to know which jobs you're turning down for that money in this economy. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    ITGuyRickITGuyRick Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have over 20 years total and it has never held me back. I have been doing it finally just to move into management at some point. If that wasn't a concern i wouldn't have bothered.
    Rick
    Working on: LPIC 1, Next: CWNA, CCNA
    BSIT Capella University (ongoing)
  • Options
    Hada944Hada944 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITGuyRick wrote: »
    I have over 20 years total and it has never held me back. I have been doing it finally just to move into management at some point. If that wasn't a concern i wouldn't have bothered.

My brother started in IT back in the late 80's. Is more common for you older dudes :) to have a career path (and a successful one at that) without the degree. I've only worked in IT for about 3 years. Of all the people I have met who have good jobs and are good at what they do IT wise, a small percentage had college degrees. Less than 30% easily. In the government sector it's even less. Certs (8570) and experience will help you more than the degree. The biggest thing however (for federal government IT work) is being in the right place at the right time and WHO YOU KNOW. I've worked in my current job for less than a month and the stories I have been told about how people got their GS 12/13 type IT positions have been eye-opening. Degrees? Nope. Certs? A few here an there. Experience? Eh, whatever. Knowing the hiring manager and being in the right place? Priceless.

It's dissapointing for people like me trying to enter the field. I have multiple degrees, only one cert, good experience, TS clearance, and veterans preference. None of it has helped. I know for sure that my degrees have added nothing to my job getting skills. I took them off of my resume, and still landed a gig with General Dynamics.

Just one guy's experience and opinion. Degree's rank last behind experience and certs.
    "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough"