Options

Passed 70-649; On to 70-647

agreenbhmagreenbhm Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed 70-649. Not a very difficult exam. I read up a bunch about 2008 R2, since i hear that the tests that 649 consists of are being upgraded to include R2. My exam had nothing referencing R2.

A bunch of terminal server questions, a few remote access questions, one or two IIS questions. Overall, not bad at all.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing. What did you use to study and what's your expeience level?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Did you like the approach of taking 3 tests rolled into one? I'm going to be taking the 648 sometime next month and I'm a little bit nervous about having the 2 tests in one.
  • Options
    I used the Microsoft Press 648/649 book (especially the test questions that come on the CD; that's my main reason for buying the book instead of downloading it).

I like to tell people I have 12 years experience with desktop OS', and 3 or so with servers, but officially I have about 2.5yrs in the business world. I'm 22, but have been working as a nerd on computers since I was 10. So, however you want to interpret that, there's your answer to my experience level.

I liked the 3-in-1 approach. Not bad at all. Test took me 45 mins.

I found it kind of funny in the prep material that AD CS and NAP were not topics for this exam, but they are for 648. I guess they figure that as an MCSE I already know about all that stuff (I guess I kinda do), but still, I would think they'd want to test you on it.

If you've worked with TS (or RDS, as they call it for R2), the numerous questions on the subject are pretty simple. I've got a 2008 R2 RemoteApp server at work and an RD Gateway server (which is also on my WSUS server), all of which I built from scratch. This gave me plenty of experience working with TS and WSUS.

Depending on when you got your MCSA/MCSE, the test may or may not be a lot of review. I got my MCSE a month or so ago, so this is all fresh on my mind. Hopefully it won't be too hard for anyone else to bring this stuff back to memory.

Good luck on your upcoming exam.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats on your pass!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, this is my path... I am hoping to knock out 649 soon, and then bust through 647 and 680. I just finished my last 2003 exam on Monday, so it is still fresh. I was hoping to knock out all three exams in November... we will see how it goes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    I have 649 scheduled today... so I hope it goes well... be reading like crazy... and hope to do 647 in short order, as well. Do you have your plans in order to knock out 647? I find that there is just so much overlap that I have to keep pushing, else I will lose momentum.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations for the pass
  • Options
    I will echo your sentiment on 649... a rather easy exam... my concern with it is that most of the questions were extremely common sense and don't seem to measure what an upgrade exam should, to be honest. Onward and upward, though.

I am actually taking 680 on before I hit 647, but that will all be sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I thought I could be superman or something... knocked out 680 quickly and scheduled 647 this morning. Man, I got my butt kicked. This exam wasn't technically difficult... it was just a drag. A decent number of questions and then testlets with more questions! I was not prepared for that. I think I missed it by one question. The testlets really were not very coherent, even for testlets...

Oh well, I am going to put my nose back into the book and try again in a few days.
  • Options
    Well, the rematch went to me. I am now MCITP Enterprise Administrator. Since I planned to spend November on this, I guess I will do 646 and then jump back to MCSE: Messaging.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, so any tips you can share about 70-647 ? I'm studying for it now and man i hate it.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    powerfool wrote: »
    Well, the rematch went to me. I am now MCITP Enterprise Administrator. Since I planned to spend November on this, I guess I will do 646 and then jump back to MCSE: Messaging.

Congrats man. I'm glad you posted this. I took my 70-647 today and failed by one question. I was pretty bummed out until I received an email showing this post in my thread. Gave me some hope that I can pass on my second try.