Options

Stuck between Computer Science and IT/IS

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello, I need to soon choose classes for which program to major in and to be honest, I am stuck.

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do in IT yet. I do have A+ and Net+ certs from high school.

Mainly what I want from a program is getting down deep with computers, the nitty gritty part of them. I enjoy the technical aspects of computers a lot. A big part of deciding is which major gives the best job opportunities or money.

Things I DON'T like about the IS/IT degree is that it encompasses so much business into the program. I've never pictured myself as a businessman or really studying it. I'm not so sure it gets very technical with computers either, more along the lines of using applications to aid a business.

Things I DON'T like about CS is the rigorousness of the coursework. Very math and programming heavy but definitely seems more technical than IT/IS. I've also never programmed before so I have no idea how I'd take it. Regardless whether I choose IT/IS or CS, I'll be doing a fair amount of programming.

I've included the coursework for each program so maybe someone could take a look at them and tell me what they think of each one.

IT/IS

http://uc.odu.edu/advising/docs/curriculumsheets/2010_2011vccs/bu-it_VCCS.pdf

CS

http://uc.odu.edu/advising/docs/curriculumsheets/2010_2011vccs/sc-compsci_VCCS.pdf

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Well, how hard would it be to switch mid-stream if you change your mind? I mean the CS program looks pretty typical but I'm not sure about the IT one. If the CS depatrment has only 1 professor and he sucks, then probably stay out of that. Also if the CS program is housed in the basement of the math hall where there is no running water or electric lighting, that's usually a bad sign.

Also...do you have the pre-reqs for Calc I first semester, right out of the gate?
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Not to intrude but is this THE Hypnotoad??
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looking at your coursework options, it looks very similar to the programs at my school in materials covered (albeit in a different order, but essentially the same stuff).

From my experience, the IT courses were the "easy" versions of the CS courses just touching general concepts and then covering the business stuff a lot more. While the IT folks did some programming, they usually didn't understand the core concepts and theory as much but could still write some typical programs regardless.

In CS (me), we had essentially no business courses (one ethics course, but that was all) and it definitely was more technical than the IT. Programming classes dove into the concepts more rather than the keywords and specific commands. After the first couple courses, we were allowed to choose any programming language for any assignment essentially for remainder courses, since they dealt with concepts rather than the languages (of course, language chosen had to support given concepts!). But there was also more math to it as well. It looks like the IT crowd doesn't need too much math, whereas CS will require your calculus courses, discrete math, and linear algebra almost certainly.

If you really want to get into the details, I'd do CS. To me, IT covers a wider range of topics related to computers and IT in general, but doesn't dive into the details as much. CS dives deeper but probably not as much coverage (especially regarding those business aspects)..

You will also find that a lot of the CS program isn't really specific to programming. Early on there will be classes that focus entirely on programming, but later courses will start to head away from those and dive into the concepts, theories, algorithm design, computer architecture, and those subjects rather than simply programming. It gives you a lot of areas you could specialize in later on, so if programming isn't your thing, you could still dive into other areas.
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • Options
    To answer Hypnotoads questions, I'm currently taking college algebra as pre reqs for higher math. I have to decide in about a month if I want to take a higher level pre Cal course to place into Cal 1 for CS or just basic pre Cal for IT. I've taken most basic core classes for each major so far and HAVE to pick a track in about a month.

Also, the IT department at my school is the one that seems to be understaffed or developed. Much more emphasis seems to be placed on the CS department. IT has about 10-12 professors whereas CS has 20-25.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Do the CS degree. It's more versatile and will generally open more doors for you.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The IT degree looks like your standard CIS business degree. It's not really a degree in network/system/database administration. Based on your comments, you're looking more for a vocational degree, which your average lib arts college doesn't offer.

If I could do it all over, I might get the CS degree and learn about "nitty gritty" via cert studying, but I'm not afraid of high level math/science. I initially went to college to get a BS in EE.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    In this case, the Computer Science degree looks to be your best bet. The CIS degree doesn't really look all that impressive, and it doesn't seem to offer any network management classes, so it comes across as "compsci-lite". If the CIS degree were more focused on IT-related courses, I might say that would be a good choice if you're interested in doing IT work specifically, but since these two programs are similar - the only difference being that the CIS track is a dumbed-down version of the CS program - I think the extra work in math and programming will be worth your while.

Good luck, whichever path you choose. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Sorry I should have mentioned before but the IT degree does have different tracks. Databases, networking, Ecommerce

http://uc.odu.edu/advising/docs/curriculumsheets/2010_2011vccs/bu-itdatabase_VCCS.pdf

http://uc.odu.edu/advising/docs/curriculumsheets/2010_2011vccs/bu-itecomm_VCCS.pdf

http://uc.odu.edu/advising/docs/curriculumsheets/2010_2011vccs/bu-itnetwork_VCCS.pdf

Are you all saying an IT/IS degree with a certain trade attached to it is more useful than a general degree?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Looking at the class-listings for those specialties, I'm still thinking that the Computer Science path is your best bet. The IT-related tracks don't really seem to have enough focus on beginning, intermediate, and advanced IT concepts, but rather want to try to muddle together CS and business topics.
    tom_dub wrote: »
    Are you all saying an IT/IS degree with a certain trade attached to it is more useful than a general degree?
    It depends on what you want to do. If you're interested in working with IT, as many on this board are, then having a focused CIS degree is very valuable. However, there are some advantages to doing the "go to school for coding, self-study for IT" route that many of us do, as well. Considering your school's CIS program isn't exactly well put-together, I'd say you're better off pursuing the compsci degree and working on any certs you're interested in on the side, to give you a well-rounded technical education.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I do appreciate your advice. Is the CS degree really worth the extra rigor over the IT degree?
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I do appreciate your advice. Is the CS degree really worth the extra rigor over the IT degree?

Do you want to work as a programmer? If so go CS. If you want to go into something more like system administration, help desk, or network security go IT.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

Yes. It's still the most well known computer related degree and it can open many doors. Yes I know it's programming heavy but I believe it will open more doors for you.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The CS degree is a serious science degree with all the trappings that come with it. If you can handle the math thats involved with most CS degrees, you will find that VERY advantageous to have. Once you get into the work force you will probably find it inapplicable to most of your work, but that wont matter because it opens so many doors.

I know people in their junior year of their CS studies who were getting recruited by intel.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Like I said, my biggest concern is attempting the CS major because it is a HARD road and was not sure if it was worth it. I'll be transferring to a university from a community college and worry about if these classes knock my GPA too low to transfer. If it's worth it I'm all for it
  • Options
    ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I chose the CIS (IT) route rather than the CS route. In my experience do the CS. I am finishing my Masters soon and I wish I would have taken the harder road of CS. I think CIS is a good degree if you only want to do IT but if you like doing nitty gritty technical work go CS.

Plus look at it this way: Chances are the IT route is lower requirements than CS. Shoot for CS and if you miss it you will get into the IT.

Also, if you do take CS I recommend taking at least one management class and one accounting class as electives. Chances are they will help you one day.
    WIP: CCNA
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    My school had a CIS college and under it was CS/IS/IT, just like you have.

CS was very programming and math heavy, which is why i steered away from it. In hindsight, it was overly technical for any kind of sys admin work.

IS was a little heavier on databases and analysis and design concepts. More paperworky that I cared for.

IT was more of a "use the tools to do X task" kind of deal. Still had programming, database design...but also had some sys admin and web stuff...which the others didnt have.
  • Options
    I chose the CIS (IT) route rather than the CS route. In my experience do the CS. I am finishing my Masters soon and I wish I would have taken the harder road of CS. I think CIS is a good degree if you only want to do IT but if you like doing nitty gritty technical work go CS.

Plus look at it this way: Chances are the IT route is lower requirements than CS. Shoot for CS and if you miss it you will get into the IT.

Also, if you do take CS I recommend taking at least one management class and one accounting class as electives. Chances are they will help you one day.

I've taken accounting already and hated it, honestly one of the reasons I'm switching from the IT route is because I really don't like business. It works out though because I got an A in it, it also satisfies a technical elective for CS.