Options

Interview for Sys Engineer position and critique my approach at the interview

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, so I have an interview next week for a System Engineer position at the company I work for.

This is the 2nd time I have interviewed for it and I have had three informal interviews as well.
When I say informal I have met with the hiring manager and let him know that I was interested in moving into that position.

My formal interview was very informal. No tech questions, no behavior based questions. No questions about my resume, past places of employment, or degrees/certs.

I would like to do this, I was thinking of doing the following. Make photocopies of the following things to give to everyone at the interview:
-resume
-photocopies of certs
-photocopies of degrees
-positive feedback from end users where I have solved a problem and they have emailed my manager to let them know
-writeup of things that I have done, like documentation written, process improvements, # of calls taken, 1st call resolution

Once I give them this, we can talk about all these things I have done, along with future goals and how all of this could fit nicely into the new position.

Let me know if this is a good way to go about it or if there is a better way.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's a pretty good plan you have there, dont have much to add to it. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Greetings, so I have an interview next week for a System Engineer position at the company I work for.

This is the 2nd time I have interviewed for it and I have had three informal interviews as well.
    When I say informal I have met with the hiring manager and let him know that I was interested in moving into that position.

My formal interview was very informal. No tech questions, no behavior based questions. No questions about my resume, past places of employment, or degrees/certs.

I would like to do this, I was thinking of doing the following. Make photocopies of the following things to give to everyone at the interview:
    -resume
    -photocopies of certs
    -photocopies of degrees
    -positive feedback from end users where I have solved a problem and they have emailed my manager to let them know
    -writeup of things that I have done, like documentation written, process improvements, # of calls taken, 1st call resolution

Once I give them this, we can talk about all these things I have done, along with future goals and how all of this could fit nicely into the new position.

Let me know if this is a good way to go about it or if there is a better way.

thanks

Sounds like you are prepared. Good luck!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should build a professional portfolio of these accomplishments.

Also, I like taking the job posting of the position I'm applying for and writing a quick paper on how I fit each point they are asking for. This breaks me a part from the normal candidate and gives them my view on why I'm good for the job.

It's been pretty beneficial so far.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mishra wrote: »
    Also, I like taking the job posting of the position I'm applying for and writing a quick paper on how I fit each point they are asking for. This breaks me a part from the normal candidate and gives them my view on why I'm good for the job.

It's been pretty beneficial so far.

Thanks for this tip, very useful