Options

Passing Sec+ Tomorrow

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+ next? or not interested in the CompTIA tres-amigos?
    Lifetime for these is only for a few months more before they have expiration dates... icon_thumright.gif

I'm trying to get my Sec+ before time is up, I wasn't sure at first since Cisco is where I want to go, but suddenly I have a great interest.
  • Options
    superman859superman859 Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ivanr4g63 wrote: »
    A+ next? or not interested in the CompTIA tres-amigos?
    Lifetime for these is only for a few months more before they have expiration dates... icon_thumright.gif

I'm trying to get my Sec+ before time is up, I wasn't sure at first since Cisco is where I want to go, but suddenly I have a great interest.

I can't decide....

How much would adding A+ affect my marketability when I start searching for jobs in late Nov. or early Dec.(main reason I'm getting some certs now)? I'm looking to get into something related to Network Security if possible (hence net+ and sec+). From what I understand, A+ is typically one of the more entry level exams (more so than sec+ for example) so I'm not sure how much it adds (then again, I've never applied for a job yet either!)

At the same time, I do have a book for A+ that I could study, but to me it doesn't look entry level at all...haha - it's huge! I build all of my own computers and they run fine, but if I have to know everything in that book, then that means I need to know a lot of details about each part, not just surface level details that make it work when I build a new machine. So it would take some time on my part I think, cost 2 exams, and I'm not sure how much potential employers will care.

But then again, I could get it just to have all three! And it is stuff I would like to learn, but I'm also torn between studying for the CCNA or CEH - I'm shooting for one or the other before the year ends. CEH is more closely related to the security field and potential jobs, but these past few days I've grown an obsession for Cisco and want to set up a home lab and grab the CCNA. If only I had more time...also trying to finish my thesis and graduate in early december as well.....and I will be gone for 2 weeks at a conference......just need to freeze time.....

For you - if you want sec+ before the end of the year, be sure to grab Darril Gibson's book as you've probably seen in these forums - it's a quick read and provides almost everything you need to know - probably enough to pass with some wiggle room without going into details (I personally like the details, but details take more time as well)
    Degrees: B.S. Computer Science, B.S. Mathematics

Certifications: Network+, Security+

In-Progress: M.S. Computer Science, CEH
  • Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah I did order DG book at my local borders, not here yet but thanks for the reminder... Everyone here seems to love the outcome with DG book so I jumped on the bandwagon.