Options

Planning Phase...

dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm in the planning phase for the ICND1 and 2. I have the cisco press books (1 & 2) and CBT Nuggets (1 & 2). I also have the Boson Simulator with standalone labs.

I plan on taking the exams separately.

I have a cisco 1841 and a 2924. It's pretty lousy but it's all I could muster in actual hardware.

I'm a big fan of studying 'smart' by planning and procuring all helpful materials. I've already started my learning (I work for an ISP so I have some experience with cisco and access to 6506s and 7000s) but wanted to ask for advice.

Is there anything I'm missing? I know I could get some more hardware and I'm working on that but beyond that, are there any gaping holes to my materials and resources? Also, any advice in general is helpful.

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You are on the right track I think. I read the Cisco Press book and watched CBT Nuggets and took Boson exam and failed it with a 67, so I went out and bought the Todd Lammle book and the Exam Cram book and after reading those went back and got and 85 on the boson and got a 962 on the actual exam. So I needed those two more books to get it all but you might be different, you might be able to do it with just the cisco press book and CBT Nuggets. I would do those first and then take the boson practice exam and see where you are at.

As far as labbing goes, I labbed a little bit for the ccent, probably an hour and a half total, if that. Right now i'm studying for ICND2 and there is no way i'll be able to pass that one without quite a bit of labbing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!

I will look into Lammle's book, I've heard good things. I used the Exam Cram for the Net+ and I really liked having a quiz at the end of each chapter, I'll check that out too.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll gladly take that 1841 off your hands if you really believe its that lousy. icon_mrgreen.gif

Seriously though, you're on the right track. Since you already have some real hands-on, then the simulator will get you through if you can't get any more hardware (2 routers and 2 switches is minimum, 3 of each is preferred if you want to go the real hardware route).

Study, practice, and participate in the forum. And welcome!
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    dirtyharry wrote: »

I have a cisco 1841 and a 2924. It's pretty lousy but it's all I could muster in actual hardware.

I personally would consider selling the 1841, with what you could pull in from that you could get a few 2600XM's and a couple 2950 switches and have a nice lab setup. Just a thought.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Sorry, should have clarified the 'lousy' part. The 1841 is awesome but I could only get my hands on one and one switch -that's the lousy part.

I would totally sell it to get more equipment but it's not mine, it's my company's.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Study, practice, and participate in the forum. And welcome!

Thanks! I will!