Options

Resetting a computer account

unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Studying for the 640 and was reading Mastering R2 and came across some information on netdom and resetting computer accounts that I was hoping someone could better explain to me.

Seems like 2 things can be reset: the secure channel between the computer and DC, and the computer password (which must be in sync on the DC and on the local computer). Am I right so far?

"netdom resetpwd" is used to reset the machine's password. The password changes every 30 days by default, so if the computer did not have contact with a DC for a while, the passwords could be mismatched and you'd have trouble logging on and would have to reset it. Am I close or is this way off? :)

Now it seems to me that "netdom reset" is used to reset the channel. Is this correct? And you may need to do this because....?

Final question: how do these netdom commands compare to resetting a computer account in ADUC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hopefully that's not your only resource.
    netdom resetpwd is like resetting it in ADUC.
    netdom restet is kind of like rebooting your account as you use it if you appear to not have an account, you're sort of "turning itoff and back on again"
    But of course I could be wrong as I'm not too bright about anything today.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.