Options

A+ CERTIFIED! And a problem.

capitalsowncapitalsown Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am the second person in my class to get certified! I'm so happy!

However, I have a problem.

So, when I signed up for the CompTIA cert tracker thing, I signed up using "Charlie", my nickname, instead of "Charles", my real name. I just use "Charlie" for everything, so I didn't really think about it.

I went to the testing facility, they required two forms of ID, which I produced: a learner's permit and a high school student ID. All my identifications say "Charles" on them.

The lady there told me that some facilities will not let you test unless the name you sign up with is the same as the name on your identifications, but she'll still let me take the test.

After that, she said something I couldn't quite catch; I think it was something like "Don't worry, I fixed it," and then she crossed something out and wrote something down.

So this morning, I decide to check the cert tracker thing, it's still listed as "Charlie". I figure I'll just change it, so I click the "Demographics" tab. Much to my dismay, out of all the fields there, the only ones that aren't editable were the ones with my name.

So here's what I'm concerned about:

This facility does not offer every IT certification test under the sun. There are plenty I would like to get that I simply cannot get there. Will this little discrepancy give me more grief in the future at stricter facilities?

I don't know what my certification card will say. I don't know if it will list "Charles" or "Charlie".

I don't know if it's possible to change your name on the CompTIA site.

I don't know what the lady changed or "fixed".

Thanks guys. If anyone could help me figure this out It'd be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Congrats! What's next on your cert radar?

As far as the name change, I wouldn't worry. You probably just need to call Prometric or Vue, whichever you registered through, and have them change it. I've only tested with Vue, but I know they have 1-800 numbers listed on the site for things like that.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Congrats! What's next on your cert radar?

As far as the name change, I wouldn't worry. You probably just need to call Prometric or Vue, whichever you registered through, and have them change it. I've only tested with Vue, but I know they have 1-800 numbers listed on the site for things like that.

Well, I'm going for Network+ next, then Security+. In our class, becoming A+ certified guarantees you an A on your semester exam, and becoming Network+ certified guarantees you an A on your final exam. I'm also trying to get Network+ and Security+ this year before they stop being lifetime. After that, I can start thinking where I want to go a little more in-depth. Thanks!
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    congrats on the pass!!

If I were you I would just call Comptia on Monday and ask them to make the change. It shouldn't be a big deal. I know for major changes they have to put in a trouble ticket but for just changing a name from Charlie to Charles they may be able to do it while you are on the phone.

That's not going to fix the problem that you could run into at a testing center. You'll need to fix the issue with your Prometric account too. Again, not a big deal. If you can't do that online just give them a call.
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »

The problem is, though, is I really am not sure who to call. I know I signed up with Prometric, however it was pretty weird. But see, I think this is a CompTIA problem, because this is the name on the account I registered after passing Essentials. Anyways, I have an email that says it's from CompTIA, it has my account info in it, and a url to a "Certmetrics" domain that redirects me to a CompTIA url where I can login. It's a really odd maze and web of links and companies that's got me sort of lost.
  • Options
    Alright well, I found my answer after a little bit of searching, sorry about that :p. I just need to send CompTIA a copy of one of my score reports and my driver's license. Cool.
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great news on your pass.

On the name change. Generally a call to the Prometrics people will clear that up.

Good job. Go for as many tests as you can before the end of the year.

C.
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com