Options

Based on my resume how much do you think I'm worth?

mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
jondoeCopy

I just want to make sure I'm not being robbed!

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    $80k+

If you could get yourself a CISSP, you could easily hit $100k as a gov't contractor. Oh, and a 4-year degree...

EDIT: Of course, this is based off of a resume... not having met you, which can make a huge difference.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    powerfool wrote: »
    $80k+

If you could get yourself a CISSP, you could easily hit $100k as a gov't contractor. Oh, and a 4-year degree...

EDIT: Of course, this is based off of a resume... not having met you, which can make a huge difference.

The CISSP is useless to him at this point in time. He has no dedicated Security positions on his resume which means he has 0 years of documented security experience. Sure, after obtaining the CISSP and working in a security position to reach his 5yrs required for endorsement it would help. But right now it's not worth mentioning.

As for what you're worth... I'd put you at $75k plus depending on locale and what you're personal skills are like.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are in California then I'd probably say maybe a little higher than what they said. What you should go for depends a lot on your location and the COL there.
    About your resume though, I noticed that in a lot of places on your experience section you would slip in a change up to "extensive knowledge of" or "knowledge of" shouldn't you keep all the entries being descriptive of what you did and put those type statements in the skills section. Since the third page wasn't full you could have just tried to shorten it to 2 pages.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Zero -- we're not hiring cable technicians.

I assume that people will lead off with their most impressive credentials -- and I stick with the 10 second rule when looking at resumes for candidates we may be considering for a phone technical interview. If you don't catch my attention within 10 seconds of reading your resume you're out of the running for consideration for the job.

Once I got past your pretty logos and pretty certifications (which are hard to read when justified center) the first thing you mentioned as skills was cabling.... A quick glance at the rest of your technical skills read like something out of a the Network+ or Cisco Certification skills list. We expect someone with a CCNA to know the OSI model and the TCP/IP model -- but if those are your most impressive skills to list on a resume then GAME OVER.

But since this wasn't a job interview, I did read your experience. Lot of discrete tasks with no idea if you did the task once or a thousand times -- and whether it was in a production network, data center, or in a work lab during down time. You gave no context for the tasks you performed.

There was no mention of the size of the networks and your actual role in designing, operating, or administering the network on a day to day basis.

Were you with an Operations Group? Security Group? Network Monitoring Group.

Or were you hired for a project team? Did you rebuild/upgrade the campus core? Did you deploy the new corporate Data Center? Or were you contracted to help reduce the backlog of network issues? Or did you work 3rd shift NOC?

Campus environment? Data Center? Branch Office? Single location manufacturing facility? Global Enterprise network? Government Contract?

You claim Expert L2/L3 switching knowledge on various platforms in your last job -- but don't mention what exactly you did in this job to make yourself claim expert status. And other than a few switching platforms -- and VTP -- mentioned in your technical skills, there's nothing expert there. At this point the BS meter went off the scale and I would have marked your resume not to be pulled for future job searches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Zero -- we're not hiring cable technicians.

I assume that people will lead off with their most impressive credentials -- and I stick with the 10 second rule when looking at resumes for candidates we may be considering for a phone technical interview. If you don't catch my attention within 10 seconds of reading your resume you're out of the running for consideration for the job.

Once I got past your pretty logos and pretty certifications (which are hard to read when justified center) the first thing you mentioned as skills was cabling.... A quick glance at the rest of your technical skills read like something out of a the Network+ or Cisco Certification skills list. We expect someone with a CCNA to know the OSI model and the TCP/IP model -- but if those are your most impressive skills to list on a resume then GAME OVER.

But since this wasn't a job interview, I did read your experience. Lot of discrete tasks with no idea if you did the task once or a thousand times -- and whether it was in a production network, data center, or in a work lab during down time. You gave no context for the tasks you performed.

There was no mention of the size of the networks and your actual role in designing, operating, or administering the network on a day to day basis.

Were you with an Operations Group? Security Group? Network Monitoring Group.

Or were you hired for a project team? Did you rebuild/upgrade the campus core? Did you deploy the new corporate Data Center? Or were you contracted to help reduce the backlog of network issues? Or did you work 3rd shift NOC?

Campus environment? Data Center? Branch Office? Single location manufacturing facility? Global Enterprise network? Government Contract?

You claim Expert L2/L3 switching knowledge on various platforms in your last job -- but don't mention what exactly you did in this job to make yourself claim expert status. And other than a few switching platforms -- and VTP -- mentioned in your technical skills, there's nothing expert there. At this point the BS meter went off the scale and I would have marked your resume not to be pulled for future job searches.

I just read through this thread and you gave me a serious ahh hah moment regarding resumes and listing skills. Feedback positive or negative has its benefit. Thanks alot man.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    phantasm wrote: »
    The CISSP is useless to him at this point in time. He has no dedicated Security positions on his resume which means he has 0 years of documented security experience. Sure, after obtaining the CISSP and working in a security position to reach his 5yrs required for endorsement it would help. But right now it's not worth mentioning.

As for what you're worth... I'd put you at $75k plus depending on locale and what you're personal skills are like.

Yeah I noticed that as well
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not sure if you are looking for advice on the resume, but I agree with Mike. Your tech skills section looks like you copy/pasted it from some kind of exam blue print. You have had a few positions so you should be able to put real skills used there rather than "Chap authentication."

I'd lose the logos also. IMO they are pretty tacky.

I also agree on the quantifying your experience bullets. Give some idea of how large the network you worked on was. Give some specific examples of some things you have done and how they helped the company rather than "Expert with Switching L2/L3 and different platforms of switches."

As far as how much are you worth, I'm not really sure what the pay is out there in CA. If you where here in SC you could probably get in the $50 - $70k range.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
    I live in the DC area.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Are you having a hard time finding suitable employment?
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    If you live in the DC area you should be getting above 80K, If you have a clearance you should be getting over 100K. You can get as high as 120K depending on how you sale yourself and what contract you are on. I have seen offers well above 140 for people who i have seen who don't know anything, but have the certs and clearance. So it depends on how you sale yourself.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    If you live in the DC area you should be getting above 80K, If you have a clearance you should be getting over 100K. You can get as high as 120K depending on how you sale yourself and what contract you are on. I have seen offers well above 140 for people who i have seen who don't know anything, but have the certs and clearance. So it depends on how you sale yourself.

I live in DC metro myself and the money you speak of, while it does exist, is generally only offered to individuals with a degree and TS clearance. A Secret clearance will not get you $100k+ around here.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    These threads always make me laugh.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    These threads always make me laugh.

I always try not to instantly post "$3.50".

There are tons of statistic websites out there that can give you a good idea of how much people usually get paid in certain areas for certain jobs.

edit: Here is a common one: http://www.payscale.com/
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    I live in DC metro myself and the money you speak of, while it does exist, is generally only offered to individuals with a degree and TS clearance. A Secret clearance will not get you $100k+ around here.

I work a job currently with a secret and no degree and I make more than that. Just saying.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    I work a job currently with a secret and no degree and I make more than that. Just saying.

Then we need to talk. lol. I have a BS, Interim Secret and a CCNA and make under $70k. lol.
  • Options
    Then we need to talk. lol. I have a BS, Interim Secret and a CCNA and make under $70k. lol.

I Dont think your applying yourself smokey!!!!!!!!!icon_thumright.gif

Seriously though PM me with any questions.
    Currently Reading