Lump sum relocation benefit....really!?

They are paying for my household move (not taxable) and giving me a lump sum (taxable but I done been po this year so will get a decent refund even if I have no taxes withheld from my paychecks). I really just get a check to spend however I need? *faint* I am so shocked. It is a pretty generous amount. It's really just mine? I am sorry for seeming obtuse but I am just mindboggled.
OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Thats pretty sweet. I received relocation expenses for my current job, but it was a reimburse with receipts deal up to a certain amount. Would have been nice to just get a check to use as I see fit though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If they want you bad enough, they'll pony up the $$. Happened to a friend of mine. Got offered a job out of state. Hospital offered to have someone move her, or she could do the move herself and get 25k towards rental on a condo, plus utilities. She did the move herself, had them pay for housing, a pocketed a nice chunk of chain over that first year.
  • rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Years ago when I moved from the EC to the WC the company I was with gave me an "ok" moving package. However, they wanted me to move pretty quick. I countered that I couldn't move in their time frame because I would be out a few months rent on my apartment (breaking the lease early), didn't have time to line up movers, etc. They came back and doubled the moving package (went from 4-digits to 5-digits!) if I could move on their schedule. I agreed, was able to line up a mover pretty quick (and for a good price), shipped my car cross country, and was able to pocket quite a bit! It helped too that once I got out there I was able to find an apartment within a few days.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, that lump sum will have taxes withheld at about 50%, IIRC. Be prepared for that.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's somewhat common on DoD contracts overseas to have the move paid for, usually up to 18K pounds, plus a vehicle... I was fortunate enough to get that deal, plus temp housing, plus 5K cash when I moved to Germany a few years ago. That generosity may be going away though due to budget cuts...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    I don't believe it's actually taxed at time of disbursement like a bonus is. And it simply counts as income when I file my taxes, yes? But like I said, even if I do not pay a dime this year, I should get back a nice little chunk. Something like $3000.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like they really want you there. Sweet deal!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Hada944Hada944 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Must be a GD contract?

It's easier to just pay you the lump sum as opposed to dealing with all the receipts and reimbursements.

Congrats on the gig.

I got one too....it will count as income. No taxes come out initially...you'll get bit a little when you file your taxes. At least that's how it's working for me.
    "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough"
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Thank you earweed. :) Hada it is actually a permanent position, which thrills me. I want to stay put for a while.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took a job 10 years ago with intel when I decided to leave the military. The job was in Rio Rancho, New Mexico (10 miles from Albuquerque), and I was stationed in Norfolk, VA. Intel gave me $15k for moving expenses and they scheduled a truck to come pack up my apartment. Out of that 15k, I believe I kept around 9k after taxes.

The only thing I had to agree to was to stay with them for 2 years.

So yeah, you should be keeping that money.