Options

complementary skill for networking???

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
so i understand the basic of networking i know theres a lot more but what other skill should i learn??

Servers maybe?? any advice

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    There are alot of things out there that is useful. What do you think you would like to do? Since you understand the basics of networking, maybe you could get into Cisco ??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Depends on what skill sets you have now and using whatever you have to build on to the next level. What else do you know aside from the basics of networking?
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    People skills. Know how to deal with folks from the total noob to the office know-it-all. Know how to listen, and explain things, both oral and written, that the basic person can understand.
  • Options
    for basics i mean i have the CCNA and i am studying CCNA:Security but what else should i learn???
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Honestly, aside from people skills, since I believe that is priority one, a basic understanding of scripting is helpful.....many times, especially in low-budget situations, the network requires a bit of bulk administration that either isn't supported or isn't affordable, and knowing how to throw a quick script together is helpful in those situations.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    Honestly, aside from people skills, since I believe that is priority one, a basic understanding of scripting is helpful.....many times, especially in low-budget situations, the network requires a bit of bulk administration that either isn't supported or isn't affordable, and knowing how to throw a quick script together is helpful in those situations.

Not to mention countless of other situations where programming is helpful. Maybe look into TCL scripting, Java, C#, etc.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Mierdin wrote: »

you are right i googled the scripts in networking and it looks like helps a lot any good source to learn a good book to start??

chmorin wrote: »
    Not to mention countless of other situations where programming is helpful. Maybe look into TCL scripting, Java, C#, etc.
    i have some background with C# and java not much but i understand both languages
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    pick some form of unix and learn the hell out of it, it goes along wonderfully with networking
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It all really depends on what you mean by "the basics of networking". If you mean that you're at Network+ level knowledge, then you have a couple of different directions to go. You could start learning more about server operating systems, like Linux or Windows Server. You could dig deeper into networking with Cisco or Juniper. That's the beauty of certs, you can always find something new to study. As for things like scripting and programming, I started a thread a while back talking about just that topic. There's even a discussion towards the end about how other IT skills relate to each other, and how different areas complement each other.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pick some form of unix and learn the hell out of it, it goes along wonderfully with networking

Actually this is a great plan. When you can properly use linux your ability to troubleshoot complicated network issues skyrockets.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Actually this is a great plan. When you can properly use linux your ability to troubleshoot complicated network issues skyrockets.
    define "properly use linux"
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    gouki2005 wrote: »

Packet Life's Armory is a good indication:

Armory - Packet Life

That's a pretty good collection of the tools of the trade. And most of them are free, open source based unix/linux tools.

If you're proficient with them, you'll be a better netengy. I get so frustrated every time I run across someone who can't use, let alone parse, tcpdump. Yeah, yeah, wireshark rocks, but it's not always an option
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    gouki2005 wrote: »

It means that you're familiar with the operating system to the point of being able to use it to run network troubleshooting tools. If you're a Linux novice, looking into Linux+ might not be a bad idea.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    lanrexng2lanrexng2 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My professor brought this up yesterday. He suggested these not really to the certification level but just intermediate knowledge to compliment you as a professional, your certification and degrees -

Applications like
    Word, Excel, PP, Visio, Project, Sharepoint,

Database-
    Oracle Database SQL query commands

Operating and Server systems (Windows and Linux)

Scripting languages
    Perl, PHP...

how to TROUBLESHOOTING EVERYTHING :D - including helping out colleagues in other specialties

It's okay of you want to be just the subject matter expert but soft skills like these will make you a manager of all of us
    Communication, Persuasion, Radical Thinking for Problem Solving

To include and not limited to Inviting your boss for a drink or two or threeicon_lol.gif

....There is more 2 pages worthicon_wink.gif
    M Sc Computer Science == 1% completeA+, Network+, Security+, CCENT == 100% complete
    ICND2, RHCSA, C/C++, Python, x86,