You never know until you ask...

When I started my latest job I asked a few coworkers about reimbursement of certification costs and everyone seemed to feel that there was no budget or plan in place for that. Even my supervisor told me that unless it was directly related to your CURRENT position (which is desktop support) it wasn't likely. He also said the budget was tight this year and they weren't paying for much anyway.

I figured that sounded reasonable until I heard that they were talking about sending FIVE guys to a RHCE bootcamp soon. If they can pay for 5 bootcamps with travel.....they can pay my exam fees.

So, I took it to the top and discussed it with our director. Suprisingly, she said they would be glad to take a look at any reciepts I have and help where they can. They ended up cutting me a check for my recent CCNA exam fee, and it sounds like reimbursement is no problem for any exam that you PASS.

I'm just glad I didn't stop asking questions. This is good news for my MCSE trek icon_study.gif Now I'm wondering if I could get them to pay for training materials too........
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

  • chrisonechrisone Senior Member Member Posts: 2,131 ■■■■■■■■■□
    seems like your supervisor is either not to well informed or is trying to hold you back. He should be the one encouraging you to further your education. icon_study.gif
    Certs: CISSP, OSCP, CRTP, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, AZ-900, VHL:Advanced+, Retired Cisco CCNP/SP/DP
    2020 Goals:
    Courses: VHL (completed), CQURE: Windows Security Crash Course (completed), BlackHills InfoSec: Breaching the Cloud (completed), eLearnSecurity: WAPTv3 (completed), IHRP (completed), THPv2 (completed), PTXv2 (in-progress)
    Certs: VHL: Advanced+ (completed), OSCP (completed), AZ-500 (failed 1st attempt), eLearnSecurity: eWPT (failed 2x, no further attempts), eLearnSecurity: eCIR (complete), eLearnSecurity: eCTHPv2 (report: awaiting results), eLearnSecurity: eCPTXv2 (Late-Nov)
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    chrisone wrote: »
    seems like your supervisor is either not to well informed or is trying to hold you back. He should be the one encouraging you to further your education. icon_study.gif

    He isn't very well informed. He doesn't have many certifications himself, but is glad that I study on my own. He really thought that they wouldn't pay for my CCNA unless I were on the network team, though. I made sure he knows, now. I think it only makes sense that most people are going to be studying a level above their current job role.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Some organsations will not reimburse if it is not approved first.

    However saying that (and the moral of the story is) always ask the right people... The people in the know :)

    -ken
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    Some organsations will not reimburse if it is not approved first.

    However saying that (and the moral of the story is) always ask the right people... The people in the know :)

    -ken

    I worked for a company that stated in the employee handbook that they would reimburse and pay a bonus for passing the MCSE or MCSD track. My manager approved it and I passed the tests. When I applied for the bonus and reimbursement, we were told that there was a super secret form that had to be filled out before I took the tests. They partially reimbursed me for exam fees and materials after we argued for months, but there was no bonus.

    I no longer work for that company.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Claymoore wrote: »
    I worked for a company that stated in the employee handbook that they would reimburse and pay a bonus for passing the MCSE or MCSD track. My manager approved it and I passed the tests. When I applied for the bonus and reimbursement, we were told that there was a super secret form that had to be filled out before I took the tests. They partially reimbursed me for exam fees and materials after we argued for months, but there was no bonus.

    I no longer work for that company.

    That's pretty sh/tty.....after having it in black and white.

    I'm glad mine is even paying for my exam fees. I was dreading the cost of all these M$ exams I'm planning for. You're talking $1000 just in test fees...icon_surprised.gif...and that's if you pass them all on the first try!
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
Sign In or Register to comment.