Options

EC-Council's LPT (Licensed Penetration Tester)

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
http://www.eccouncil.org/lpt/Licensed_Penetration_Tester.htm

The only bad thing about their exams, is that they tend to push more towards the training thing. As of now, I think they only offer a couple of exams at select Prometric centers. I really hope this changes, they seem to be growing and are releasing quite a few really interested security certs.

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    /usr wrote:
    http://www.eccouncil.org/lpt/Licensed_Penetration_Tester.htm

The only bad thing about their exams, is that they tend to push more towards the training thing. As of now, I think they only offer a couple of exams at select Prometric centers. I really hope this changes, they seem to be growing and are releasing quite a few really interested security certs.

That was the hardest thing about the CEH...When I first started looking for an exam center, it had to be done online. Then they decided to put them at a few Prometric centers. I thought I would never find a place to take the test. Hopefully with new exams, the will fix this issue.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Yeah, I was originally going to have to drive three hours to take it, but when I was calling Prometric and the local testing center, they added it to their list at the last minute.
  • Options
    For those that care...

I emailed EC-Council to ask about other exams being offered at Prometric testing centers, as opposed to only being offered through licensed training centers, and they emailed me back saying that they would be working on it over the next few months. Hopefully we will see some of their certs become more convenient for those of us who prefer self-study.
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    haha..sounds like the same email I got months...ago... icon_wink.gif
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well basically, the workshop was real heavy on law, contracts, etc. It was not very technical at all, and from what I was told by the instructor I had, neither is the test. Based on all my preperation and study materials for this and the CISSP, it seems like a light version of the CISSP. Tons of law stuff, but not a lot of real technical stuff. Don't get me wrong, we covered most of the stuff I covered when I took the CEH class with Jack, however, it was more of theorethical and "worth mentioning" approach to all of the technical stuff. We really didn't do any down and dirty penetration stuff.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I went to prometric.com and got a listing of all the Prometric sites in California that administer the CEH. An exam like Security+ is available at over 200 sites in CA, but the CEH is available here at only eight. The closest testing center to me is over an hour's drive and is not open on weekends. Normally, I would never need to drive more than 20 minutes to find a testing center for any tech cert exam.

It may be that the CEH is only offered at testing centers that have specifically "partnered" with the EC-Council. This is the same bit of business that occurs between Prometric testing centers and the SCP with their security exams (SCNP and SCNA).

I do notice that the CEH testing centers here in CA are spread out somewhat evenly over then entire length of the state. That was probably done purposely. Maybe the EC-Council can't yet afford to placed the CEH exam in a lot of Prometric testing centers until it become more popular (i.e., "profitable" for the EC-Council).
  • Options
    Yes, it's rather annoying. I had to drive to a testing center an hour away to take the CEH exam. Hopefully they'll begin adding more of their exams to Prometric centers as well. As of now, I think they only offer two.
  • Options
    dissolveddissolved Inactive Imported Users Posts: 228
    Crap, does anyone know if there are centers that offer it in Delaware or surrounding state? (VA, MD?). I noticed someone above said it can be taken online?

I called prometric but got put on hold for an hour.

Thanks