varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    Erm. You've all lost me icon_neutral.gif

An interesting read all the same, but this is where i stand so far:
    Static Void Main()
    {
    Application.run(new (form1));
    }

Public static void [B][COLOR="Red"]class[/COLOR][/B]()
    {
    int x = 10;
    int y = 10;
    messagebox.show(convert.tostring(x + y));
    }

lol.

I'm learning though ^.^;

btw, i'm watching the VTC C# 2008 videos and theyre actually easy to understand!
    is this how they require people to write code now?
  • Options
    ssknightssknight Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    OP,

Firstly, if you've decided to work in C# I would say it's a safe bet. Microsoft has invested a lot of time in consolidating their flavor of programming languages under the Common Language Runtime. This fact coupled with its popularity among software developers leads me to believe that it's a paradigm that isn't going anywhere for a while.

C# is my language of choice for .NET development, as the syntax seems to be "tighter" than some of the other languages, although when it comes down to the Intermediate Language runtime enviornment, all MS programming languages under the .NET flagship function nearly the same. Choosing a .NET language is really a matter of personal taste.

I'll also say that programming isn't for everyone, as has been mentioned. I notice you're MCSE certified. The troubleshooting mindset that goes along with the maintenance of and Active Directory environment can prove invaluable to the development of your mindset as a programmer as the concepts you'll learn in both lend themsevles to the other.

If you're an individual with a desire to understand what goes on behind the scenes in technology, then you should do well.

Remember that more important than the ability to write software that inefficiently achieves end goals is the ability to really understand why what you're writing works, and how it accomplishes its tasks. If you approach development in this way you'll begin to understand so much more about the way everyday technologies interface in the (sometimes unpredictable :P) way that they do.

My $.02.

LCpl Ray
    Current: Net+, A+, Security +, MCSA:Messaging
    In Progress: CCNA, MCITP:EA, MCPD
    LCpl Ray
    United States Marine Corps
    Current: Net+, A+, Security +, MCSA:Messaging
    In Progress: CCNA, MCITP:EA, MCPD
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think the learning will be wasted. First of all, learning one language will make another language down the road easier.

Second of all, there is still a demand (albeit small) for Cobal programmers. Somebody needs to maintain and improve the code for all kinds of business applications that have been in use for the last 20 years. Languages don't just disappear over night.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Second of all, there is still a demand (albeit small) for Cobal programmers. Somebody needs to maintain and improve the code for all kinds of business applications that have been in use for the last 20 years. Languages don't just disappear over night.
    That's all well and good if you are available to move to wherever those few and far-between jobs still remain.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    And I still think that suggesting that a sys admin learning C# is ok because it will make learning other languages like PoSh easier is like suggesting that someone who is going to travel to Europe learn Latin because it will make learning Spanish or French easier.

If you want to learn C# as a hobby that is one thing. I think the real reason that Wedge, the OP, might want to learn C# is because of his exposure to SharePoint! And as othrs have pointed out. C# is one of the .NET flagship languages - it aint going no place for a decade or so.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Microsoft almost exclusively uses C# in its own products, very little VB.NET, and no other .NET languages that I know of (maybe managed C++ too?). Personally for .NET, I just stick to C# and keep my eye on what's happening with IronPython.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I think that a sys admin learning any real programming language will help them leaps and bounds in scripting in any other scripting language. It gets them to think more logically and take a more structured approach, and also to think in loops and recursion. That right there can cut the length of their scripts in half or more. I've always been glad I dabbled in C++ in grade school and high school.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/