Best Unix Distro for vSphere?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just want to play with Unix flavoured OS's such as BSD etc.

Which ones work really well as virtual machines on vSphere ? BSD / Slackware ? Other ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    All of them. ESX works in such a way that the guest OS has no idea that it's virtualized, so it doesn't care. I haven't ran into a single issue yet. I have plenty of Debian and CentOS installs.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    All of them. ESX works in such a way that the guest OS has no idea that it's virtualized, so it doesn't care. I haven't ran into a single issue yet. I have plenty of Debian and CentOS installs.

Debian / CentOS are Linux distros and not REALLY Unix ones .. I know that there is TECHNICALLY no issue - but a lot of people seem to have issues with BSD for example but I rather want other people opinnions ...

So yea - talking about Unix ones (Solaris, BSD or other)
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    Debian / CentOS are Linux distros and not REALLY Unix ones .. I know that there is TECHNICALLY no issue - but a lot of people seem to have issues with BSD for example but I rather want other people opinnions ...

So yea - talking about Unix ones (Solaris, BSD or other)

Sorry, I misread, since Slackware is kind of borderline. Linux, but underpinnings are very BSD-like. After a quick search, I do see that the BSDs aren't officially supported, but many people have no trouble running them. I'll leave this to those who are actually running BSD, then. My apologies. :)
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Sorry, I misread, since Slackware is kind of borderline. Linux, but underpinnings are very BSD. After a quick search, I do see that the BSDs aren't officially supported, but many people have no trouble running them. I'll leave this to those who are actually running BSD, then. My apologies. :)

Just read myself that Slackware is considered Linux *oops* ...

I read that a lot comes down to the virtual machine tools ... Mmmm... more research :)
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    open bsd
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • brocbroc Member Posts: 167
    I installed and configured various releases of OpenBSD and FreeBSD on ESXi without a problem in lab and production environment with full functionality. You can install the VMWare tools easily on FreeBSD, it is a bit more complicated with OpenBSD but it is still possible (with 4.6 sure, I actually haven't tried with 4.7 yet).
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    i hear 4.7 really makes a diff

free and open bsd are usually the best bets unless you want linux then suse/redhat work well but to me they have a little extra bloat with the gui and all that
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    free and open bsd are usually the best bets unless you want linux then suse/redhat work well but to me they have a little extra bloat with the gui and all that
    Don't install a GUI. It's not required to do so. For Linux installs I typically do a minimal install and go from there, only adding the bare minimum of required software.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV