Options

Linux+ study guide

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
hi i have the linux+ study guide but i dont know which distro i must use to practice i dont have much exp with linux (really a noob) so any advice

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    how noobish cause you can run ubuntu easily off a dvd with out even installing it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    At first, any distro would do. All linux distributions adopt the bash shell uniformly and since bash is the focus of both exams (and especially on the 101 exam) any would do. Ubuntu is a popular choice as well as Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint, chosen for their ease of installation and range of compliant hardware.
    However, since you chose to go for a Linux certification, you are in essence preparing for the role of Linux system administrator. Hence, you should focus on server- oriented distro. Your choice in that field would be CentOS, Debian and OpenSUSE. On a side note, any Linux distribution can act also as a server OS, the only real difference is the additional packages needed to be installed. The only Linux distribution that I have seen so far that can't be turned into a production-level server is SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop).
    Beside choosing the distro, you should also choose your virtualization enviroment. That way you'll avoid possible installation problems caused by non- compliant hardware. If you choose dual boot scenario or have a spare box to make it Linux- only, I'd strongly urge you to check out if your hardware will work in Linux. That will save you a lot of headache down the road.
    Hope this helps and good luck on your Linux journey! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    varelg wrote: »
    At first, any distro would do. All linux distributions adopt the bash shell uniformly and since bash is the focus of both exams (and especially on the 101 exam) any would do. Ubuntu is a popular choice as well as Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mint, chosen for their ease of installation and range of compliant hardware.
    However, since you chose to go for a Linux certification, you are in essence preparing for the role of Linux system administrator. Hence, you should focus on server- oriented distro. Your choice in that field would be CentOS, Debian and OpenSUSE. On a side note, any Linux distribution can act also as a server OS, the only real difference is the additional packages needed to be installed. The only Linux distribution that I have seen so far that can't be turned into a production-level server is SLED (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop).
    Beside choosing the distro, you should also choose your virtualization enviroment. That way you'll avoid possible installation problems caused by non- compliant hardware. If you choose dual boot scenario or have a spare box to make it Linux- only, I'd strongly urge you to check out if your hardware will work in Linux. That will save you a lot of headache down the road.

icon_neutral.gificon_neutral.gif

ok i will use virtualbox of course so the best distro for a new guy like me is Ubuntu Fedora, OpenSUSE or Mint i will choose ubuntu i think
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Great advice!
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    hi i have the linux+ study guide but i dont know which distro i must use to practice i dont have much exp with linux (really a noob) so any advice

Which study guide?
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)