Options

When they say DNS is managed by your ISP...

What does that mean? what part of the DSN structure does the ISP have and how is that set up on a server? does that simply mean the SOA record is a DNS server at the ISP? or forwarders are being used instead of manually configuring records?
icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't understand your question... Could you give some context? Off the top of my head, a company hosting their web site via their ISP would likely have their external DNS hosted by that ISP.
  • Options
    tdeantdean Member Posts: 520
    I don't understand your question... Could you give some context? Off the top of my head, a company hosting their web site via their ISP would likely have their external DNS hosted by that ISP.
    yeah, i dont think i did a good job there. lol. im trying to learn all the ins and outs of DNS. i have had trouble b/c i cant seem to separate forwarders, fwd look ups, different zones etc. then i was watching a cbt and they trainer was saying in small to medium sized businesses, most likely the ISP "manages DNS" and in large enterprises, its done in house. i watched 2 different cbts now and have heard the same thing, but i dont get it.
  • Options
    Ok, got it. In a small business that does not use AD, for example, it is unlikely that they will have anything other than a client system coopted for sharing files - or maybe a consumer NAS system. Nothing will require DNS on the LAN. All name resolution would occur via SMB/CIFS. So the DNS servers they will be using would likely be the ones provided by their ISP via the DHCP service on their consumer (Linksys, Netgear, etc) router.

Once you add a technology like AD, DNS is required. So there must be a locally hosted/managed DNS server.
  • Options
    Ok, got it. In a small business that does not use AD, for example, it is unlikely that they will have anything other than a client system coopted for sharing files - or maybe a consumer NAS system. Nothing will require DNS on the LAN. All name resolution would occur via SMB/CIFS. So the DNS servers they will be using would likely be the ones provided by their ISP via the DHCP service on their consumer (Linksys, Netgear, etc) router.

Once you add a technology like AD, DNS is required. So there must be a locally hosted/managed DNS server.
    Hmmm... I mean in companies that are 100 servers and less. thats what they kind of used as an example. he said the SOA record is managed by the ISP?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on the company. The examples used are a base for you to understand where it may be used.

The SOA is just information about your zone. So whoever hosts your zone will have the SOA record as they manage it.

When you think of DNS you should think of internal and external. When thinking internal, think about having active directory which needs DNS to function. Those DNS servers will handle your internal name resolution like the CEO's laptop computer name. The internal DNS servers also handle iterative requests to the root serves for zones it doesn't handle like google.com then returns the client the IP. If you are tiny and have no need for DNS, you can also get your ISP to provide addressing.

External is DNS that you need to have an outside facing to your company. Normally, is small companies your external DNS is handled by a third party or ISP. If you have no need for external DNS, then no one will manage your external DNS information. Your ISP may need a DNS record to your IP for their needs.

Ebay needs external DNS, but the produce shop down the road probably doesn't have any reason for an external DNS name. The law firm down the road may need external DNS so clients can get to their website but doesn't want to manage their own server so they will use a third party provider (godaddy, regster) or sometimes the ISP can provide that service.

To put it simply, your ISP can sell you DNS services just like godaddy can.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    tdean wrote: »
    Hmmm... I mean in companies that are 100 servers and less. thats what they kind of used as an example. he said the SOA record is managed by the ISP?

What videos are you watching and when were they made? Having a little more context might be better here. Are they talking about a company with a large scale web presence?

I can only imagine they are discussing externally hosted DNS here for websites using a TLD and not internally hosted services of any sort.

For example we run in an environment like you have suggested and we use both internally hosted DNS and externally hosted DNS. The external DNS (.com) is for a SharePoint portal being accessed by people off the company network. We do not manage it and have to get intouch with a 3rd party inorder to make changes. Our internal DNS, AD would never be hosted by an ISP. It's going to use AD Integration and is hosted by our Domain Controllers. Could you imagine if it were hosted externally? The joy that would bring to the hackers!
  • Options
    ok guys, i think i understand now. i was watching both testout and cbt nuggets and they both kept saying it over and over. i guess the ISP hosting/managing the dns is logical for small to med businesses. now i wonder about large... how do they do it themselves? :)