Options

CCNP Bound!

millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
Hey everyone, first post, so might as well introduce myself. Been lurking the forum a little bit and decided to join.

I was always the dorky kid, got into computers early (age 5) since my dad was an engineer designing networking equipment. Learned OOP C by age 8. By 13 I was learning how to configure NT server and basic networking and programming in PHP. And at 17 I got MCP and CCNA (back when they still covered IPX, Token Ring, and a lot of other stuff).

Got a job almost immediately as a full time network administrator (dropped out of public school so I could home school and work in the field full time). I never renewed my certs, I really had no reason to, but kept current on everything.

And here I am 10 years later, unemployed for a year and unable to find a job in this tough economy. So I've decided to start studying for the CCNP. My goal was to take the CCNP courses get them out of the way, then just take the CCNA again to cert up both.

I have about 6-10+ hours a day to study, the stuff is not that difficult for me, running a GNS3 Lab with 3x 3550 switches connected.

Since I grasp these concepts so easily, would it be reasonable to expect 2 month completion for each exam (2mos ROUTE) + (2mos SWITCH) + (2mos TSHOOT). And do you feel I would benefit from adding any additional equipment to my lab?
Currently Reading:
CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if you are currently jobless why not knock out the CCNA again quickly for an added bonus to your resume and then start working on the CCNP exams?
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    millworx wrote: »
    Since I grasp these concepts so easily, would it be reasonable to expect 2 month completion for each exam (2mos ROUTE) + (2mos SWITCH) + (2mos TSHOOT). And do you feel I would benefit from adding any additional equipment to my lab?
    i think if you study 6 - 10 hours a day there should be no issue knocking out ROUTE and SWITCH in two months each, once you knock those out of the way TSHOOT should only take a few weeks to a month of prep (try building the published topology). Only thing I can suggest you adding is a couple 2950s for access layer switches.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    i think if you study 6 - 10 hours a day there should be no issue knocking out ROUTE and SWITCH in two months each, once you knock those out of the way TSHOOT should only take a few weeks to a month of prep (try building the published topology). Only thing I can suggest you adding is a couple 2950s for access layer switches.

Yeah I did think about redoing the CCNA first as it would continually renew with each exam I take. I'm undecided though as to right now.
    Currently Reading:
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Study for TSHOOT as you prepare for the ROUTE and SWITCH exams.

How much you've forgotten, how much you don't like or don't find interesting, and how much you never knew will determine how long it takes you per exam. If you've kept your skills up you may be ready in as little as a month -- but 2 months per exam seems reasonable and doable.

I usually estimate by counting the chapters in the books for an exam and using my average of about 3 hours per chapter (which includes trying some things in the lab as I read them). I add 1 beer per chapter finished as motivation.

A pace of one chapter a night (or two nights depending on your family obligations & work travel times) if you're working, or two chapters a day if you're not working is possible if you're motivated and dedicated. You can try for 2 chapters a day on the weekend, 3 if you're crazy (or desperate). Your mileage may vary depending on your experience and motivation.

I then toss in about 3-8 hours per week to review and rewrite notes -- usually on the weekend. I then add about 2 hours additional lab time per implement, verify, troubleshoot, configure task in the exam blueprint.

Then if I had the Cisco Press Flash Exam Pack and Flash Cards (and/or the Certification Guide Practice Questions) I'd take a week and go through those. I'd do lots of lab time to break up the monotony of answering questions or going through flash cards. I'd usually just do the questions in one big lump over the course of the week checking the answer immediately -- and review (and lab) any topic where I got a question wrong.

Usually I'd drop under 90% as I got bored answering the questions and make stupid mistakes as I lost focus -- so I'd go lab something or take a study break.

When I couldn't take the thought of studying any more I'd go take the exam.

Unless you actually worked for a Cisco Business Partner in the past you probably want to use both the Foundation (the replacement for the <exam name> Authorized Self-Study series books) and the Exam Certification Guide for each exam.

Good Luck with your Studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good luck with it, Millworx!

GNS3 with 3 x 3550 sounds cool. One of these days I will fire up my GNS3 VMware lab again and see if i can get it to talk to my (coincidentally) 3 x 3550's.

Bogged down right now in my IPv6 studies for ROUTE, although my GNS3 lab might be a good way to try out IPv6 without any risk of bringing down my existing lab.

I'm like you in that I was out of work (2004) and needed to get certs to prove I knew what I was doing. Some days I wish I'd get laid off at my present job so I could study 8 hours a day.

But in this economy I guess we have to be careful what we wish for.

icon_mrgreen.gif

Again, good luck!

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    dmillbankdmillbank Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    millworx wrote: »
    Yeah I did think about redoing the CCNA first as it would continually renew with each exam I take. I'm undecided though as to right now.

Having valid CCNA certification is a prerequisite for CCNP, so you'll have to pass it before you take your CCNP exams. Good luck with your studies.

CCNP Certification - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dmillbank wrote: »
    so you'll have to pass it before you take your CCNP exams.
    To earn the CCNP you must meet the prerequisite of the CCNA and passing the required CCNP exams -- but the sequence doesn't matter.

They can take the CCNP exams first -- they just don't get the CCNP until they also meet the prerequisite of having a valid CCNA Certification too.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I know this will be a fun journey. Already been cramming and labbing like crazy! =] Will let everyone know how the journey progresses!
    Currently Reading: