Funny Tracert...

mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
Okay so I'm at work and I live maybe 20-30 minutes from my place. Figured i'd humor myself and do a trace route to my home asa5510 and noticed something laughable... Can you point it out?

tracert.JPG
There is no place like 127.0.0.1

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your tracert took a little sightseeing trip to new york. Mine from where I used to work took several weird hops like that.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    mgeorge wrote: »
    Okay so I'm at work and I live maybe 20-30 minutes from my place. Figured i'd humor myself and do a trace route to my home asa5510 and noticed something laughable... Can you point it out?

tracert.JPG

Do you work for your ISP? looks like your connection is taking the long way to get back to yourself.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I hate it when my packets take road trips without taking me along for the ride.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like hop 5 and hop 18... Of course, all the stuff between (6-17) is pretty weird...
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I Tracert you it goes
    NC
    GA
    MO
    SC
    MO
    MO
    MA
    MA
    MA
    MA
    MA
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I thought it was a little funny they're taking a short little internet detour.

Their own little packet vacation so to speak.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It's pretty common for service providers to backhaul traffic to a common distribution point. It all depends on where your peering connections are at. For example, if I'm in Seattle, and I'm trying to send traffic to Comcast, but my only routes to Comcast are through Level3, and my only peering connection to Level3 is in Virginia, then the traffic is getting hauled to VA to be handed off to Comcast, even if the final destination is in Oregon hehe
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I should rename all the routers on our backbone to various diverse locations just to mess with people...
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    I should rename all the routers on our backbone to various diverse locations just to mess with people...

That is actually an awsome idea. My next campus network I design, each IDF is going to have city names... muahahaha!

Almost as bad as having all the severs named after trees...
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The packet detour is not what makes me laugh. What makes me laugh is that it appears to go through the same device twice in the transit path.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    yeah, that 18th hop doesn't make any sense. I think you got some late reply packets and tracert misinterpreted the results hehe