Options

Advice needed on certs for major career change!

weemoofrazzweemoofrazz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am new to the forum and since I hold no certified IT qualifications I am new to IT too. When I originally left school I went to university to study BSc Computing Science. I hated it! I lasted 10 months then left, it was all C++ and heavy on maths which I always hated!

Since leaving uni a whole 13 years ago I’ve always been personally involved with computers. I taught myself how to upgrade and replace components on my many desktop pc's and I used to do likewise for family and friends. I’ve always been the one that colleagues and family use to sort their pc problems.

None of this of course means anything in terms of employability in the IT industry and so I’ve finally decided to take a major change in career from nursing to IT!

My question for all the kind users here is this...

What certs are going to be best for me to get? I am interested in IT support but more on site than via the phone. I’ve always wanted to work for myself upgrading systems, building systems and providing OS support, virus removal that sort of stuff.

I've looked into what’s available and the costs involved. For a first step I've ordered [FONT=&quot]CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) by Docter and the exam cram. I've also ordered [/FONT]MCDST Self-paced Training Kit for exams 70-271 & 70-272 and the exam cram bundle.

So I intend to hopefully obtain the CompTIA A+ and the MCDST, my question is what would be the best cert to go for after these?

I’ve looked at the CompTIA Network+ and the MCSE but I am just not sure what would be best for what I would like to do.

I’d appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks
Francesicon_surprised.gif

Comments

• Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    This differs from person to person and it ultimately depends on the direction you want to take.

IMO, the first two are good to get, especially considering you want to be more of a support guy at first. But after that, you have to ask yourself "where do I want to go in IT?" After answering that question, it's easier to attack the certs. It's kind of like college. If you don't really know what you want to do at first, you can look around and get a feel for where you want to go. And also like in college, people change majors..lol.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those two certifications are great to get started into the industry, and it sounds like you are excited about it which is even better. If you want to stick with advanced desktop systems you could hug the microsoft track to MCITP or MCSE or grab some Apple certifications. If you find you want to try networking or server administration, it would be time to sniff out some starter certifications for that to see if you like it. (Ie: Network+ or Server+ or Security+).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think A+ and MCDST is a very good start for you and from there you can go ahead and finish MCSE or IMO MCITP would be better but you have to hurry up I think 70-270 exam is gonna expire soon.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hi

I am new to the forum and since I hold no certified IT qualifications I am new to IT too. When I originally left school I went to university to study BSc Computing Science. I hated it! I lasted 10 months then left, it was all C++ and heavy on maths which I always hated!

Since leaving uni a whole 13 years ago I’ve always been personally involved with computers. I taught myself how to upgrade and replace components on my many desktop pc's and I used to do likewise for family and friends. I’ve always been the one that colleagues and family use to sort their pc problems.

None of this of course means anything in terms of employability in the IT industry and so I’ve finally decided to take a major change in career from nursing to IT!

My question for all the kind users here is this...

What certs are going to be best for me to get? I am interested in IT support but more on site than via the phone. I’ve always wanted to work for myself upgrading systems, building systems and providing OS support, virus removal that sort of stuff.

I've looked into what’s available and the costs involved. For a first step I've ordered [FONT=&quot]CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) by Docter and the exam cram. I've also ordered [/FONT]MCDST Self-paced Training Kit for exams 70-271 & 70-272 and the exam cram bundle.

So I intend to hopefully obtain the CompTIA A+ and the MCDST, my question is what would be the best cert to go for after these?

I’ve looked at the CompTIA Network+ and the MCSE but I am just not sure what would be best for what I would like to do.

I’d appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks
    Francesicon_surprised.gif

I think your gung ho which is great, but your focus is a little broad. I would stick to one exam at a time, especially in the beginning. Think A+ first and foremost. You really want to get this done before December 31st. After that you have to take courses or retest I believe. Anyway it's worth your time to get that done first. MCDST is solid and since you bought the books you might as well, or maybe you could return them. All you really need is A+ to get started in helpdesk. One cert will open your mind up a little more and then you will have a different perspective. Let that all play out, realize you don't know to much right now and go with it. Learn along the way and stay active on this forum. This forum will teach you a lot and help guide you along.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
  • Options
    weemoofrazzweemoofrazz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for all the advice. N2IT I'll get on the case of the CompTIA A+ asap as I don't want to have to renew my certification every 3 years as is the case if you pass after 1st Jan 2011.

I have the next 5 weeks off from work and as soon as my stuff arrives I intend getting stuck in. Is it feasible that I could pass the CompTIA A+ if I was to book my test for as late in Dec as possible?

I'll definately stick around on the forum and I am sure I'll learn alot while here.

Thanks again
    Frances
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have some experience then you could probably be ready for the A+ in 3 or 4 weeks. As for the MCDST those exams expire in March so you'll need to get on the ball with them. A lot of people here would probably tell you not to botherwith the MCDST but XP is still in wide use. I would advise you that after you get the MCDST you get some materials to study Windows 7 and take the upgrade exam for that. That would cover your bases if you get a job in an XP, Windows 7, or someplace transitioning between the 2.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    If you have some experience then you could probably be ready for the A+ in 3 or 4 weeks. As for the MCDST those exams expire in March so you'll need to get on the ball with them. A lot of people here would probably tell you not to botherwith the MCDST but XP is still in wide use. I would advise you that after you get the MCDST you get some materials to study Windows 7 and take the upgrade exam for that. That would cover your bases if you get a job in an XP, Windows 7, or someplace transitioning between the 2.

+1

That's why I kind of hinted to return the books. Of course that is just my opinion. A lot of it has to do with luck, personality, interviewing skills, and the area you live and want to work in. That's why I suggested staying active on the forum and just focusing on A+.

Honestly I wish I would of did A+, but I interview really well and everything went so fast 2 years later I still didn't have a cert icon_redface.gif

Everyone has their own track and you have to find yours. I only really push the idea of taking one cert at a time, because I myself have trouble staying on task with one topic, so I really have to drive that idea and mindset home. Hence why I suggest focusing on A+ and forgetting about every other certificatrion until you pass both your A+ exams.

Don't get hung up that you need X Y Z certs to prove your value. You really don't. Certification validate what you know. At least that is my opinion of what they are used for. That's why you won't see me getting a server cert, even though I would love to work with them, but I don't and I just don't feel like it would be a good investment to squeak out a server cert with no Windows or very little experience.

Speaking clearly and showing you are a people person well get you far. Couple that with one cert and some really good presentable knowledge you will be good to go.