Options

Sonicwall Certs

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Has anyone done a Sonicwall certification?

Comments

• Options
    Man no one has done this one either? God, its only a cisco/microsoft board 90% of the time lol.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Man no one has done this one either? God, its only a cisco/microsoft board 90% of the time lol.

I intend to get one, but I believe it will help my business directly by having the credential (which is also a Sonicwall partner). Sonicwall isn't exactly large enterprise stuff, and there's not a whole lot to them to make a certification difficult. With their target market(SMB), the ROI on the cert can be a bit low when compared to the Cisco path.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Honestly, didn't know they had certifications. And I think more HR/Hiring managers would think the same thing. So I am not sure there is a lot of value there.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    forkvoid wrote: »
    I intend to get one, but I believe it will help my business directly by having the credential (which is also a Sonicwall partner). Sonicwall isn't exactly large enterprise stuff, and there's not a whole lot to them to make a certification difficult. With their target market(SMB), the ROI on the cert can be a bit low when compared to the Cisco path.

Did you see Gardners Magic Quadrent for them? The NSA UTMS are marked as leaders. We just spent like 10k on 2 NSA 3500, a TZ210 and some Sonicpoints. I think spending 400 dollars on making sure I know the very best way to set this stuff up and support it is pretty fair.
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Honestly, didn't know they had certifications. And I think more HR/Hiring managers would think the same thing. So I am not sure there is a lot of value there.

That depends on how you define value? The CSSA isn't going to be as recognized as my CCNA but that's ok. If I just went by name recognition I wouldn't do the WCNA, LPIC-1, or GSEC. I do hear you though.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think they would be very good in the case of an SMB doing a new rollout or a consultant who secializes in SMBs. I say go for it! Especially if you can get the company to foot the bill.
  • Options
    Did you see Gardners Magic Quadrent for them? The NSA UTMS are marked as leaders. We just spent like 10k on 2 NSA 3500, a TZ210 and some Sonicpoints. I think spending 400 dollars on making sure I know the very best way to set this stuff up and support it is pretty fair.

Completely agree, but factoring in study time and exam cost to the return you'll get on it is very low when compared to the return you get on a CCNA or MCITP because Sonicwall is less widely used, and when it is, is usually in SMB. Enterprise shells out for Cisco/Juniper/etc, because they have the money. I think that's why less people here are working with Cisco/MS: higher return on time/money spent.

Unfortunately, the place I work is a mostly-Fortinet shop, so I don't get to work with Sonicwall much. I have a TZ170 and two Pro200s at the house, plus the office is running on a TZ170. I love them.
  • Options
    Completely agree, but factoring in study time and exam cost to the return you'll get on it is very low when compared to the return you get on a CCNA or MCITP because Sonicwall is less widely used, and when it is, is usually in SMB. Enterprise shells out for Cisco/Juniper/etc, because they have the money. I think that's why less people here are working with Cisco/MS: higher return on time/money spent.

I agree 100%. The NSA series have some "enterprise" ready models though. Personally I'd like to do some consulting on the side. Most small business won't be able to afford an ASA (hell we could have bought one or two but the cost was just...damn....) Getting a few SMB certs may help. If I can get my boss to pay it, that will be great but if not, I will foot the bill. I know certs aren't a huge factor here so she might say no. $400 isn't that much for training and a cert.
    Unfortunately, the place I work is a mostly-Fortinet shop, so I don't get to work with Sonicwall much. I have a TZ170 and two Pro200s at the house, plus the office is running on a TZ170. I love them.

How do you like the fortinet gear? I have heard good things about them execpt for pricing.
  • Options
    How do you like the fortinet gear? I have heard good things about them execpt for pricing.

I'm not a fan. There's several threads in Off Topic and General Cert about Fortinet, with some being quite heated.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I know one guy who is certified on SonicWall and if he can be used as a measuring stick then just about anyone can pass. I'd suspect him of using **** except I really don't think he would even know how to find them. Years ago I was almost hired on to do SonicWall support (showed the instructor how to do something and was walked out at the end of the day) and the training we were going through to pass the exams was the most simplistic stuff. I wouldn't think you'd have any issue passing it, but you will probably find very few employers out there that recognize the certification.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I know one guy who is certified on SonicWall and if he can be used as a measuring stick then just about anyone can pass. I'd suspect him of using **** except I really don't think he would even know how to find them. Years ago I was almost hired on to do SonicWall support (showed the instructor how to do something and was walked out at the end of the day) and the training we were going through to pass the exams was the most simplistic stuff. I wouldn't think you'd have any issue passing it, but you will probably find very few employers out there that recognize the certification.

Interesting. Thanks for the perspective.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    SonicWall is teh devol.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree 100%. The NSA series have some "enterprise" ready models though. Personally I'd like to do some consulting on the side. Most small business won't be able to afford an ASA (hell we could have bought one or two but the cost was just...damn....) Getting a few SMB certs may help. If I can get my boss to pay it, that will be great but if not, I will foot the bill. I know certs aren't a huge factor here so she might say no. $400 isn't that much for training and a cert.

Fortinet pricing its okay for what it does
    I have manage both Sonicwall and Fortinet, and i like a way more fortinet... in fact we used to sell sonicwall but we stop selling them, we just used to sell sonicwall for clients that didnt have money to affort fortinet... but at the end.. we just stop selling them... we now just sell fortinet.

Youshould try fortinet and compare them with the sonicwall and you will realize what i mean :) when i say fortinet is better
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I'm going to Sonicwall training at the end of the month. There will be an exam and hopefully I pass. I need 80% and above. If I pass I'll get my CSSA. That's what they call their certification.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I take my CSSA in a few weeks as well.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Well I took the CSSA today and passed it :) One down and a couple more to go to get Master CSSA status.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1