Options

Weird Job

myedjo24myedjo24 Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have had my current job here for about two months and I still don't really know what I do. Basically, all I do is watch the union workers do a function and if they need assistance I step in to help. However, what I do to help is to call someone else to fix the issue (if there ever is one). All the while, the function they're performing only happens maybe 5 days out of the month. The rest of the time I sit in my office and browse cnn or work on my college course work. I'm basically worried about job security because I don't know why a company would have not one position but two positions that don't really do anything. I have a little more security than the other guy because he gets about 80k and I just get 50k.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't feel valuable to the company then maybe you should try to take on some more responsibilities if that is possible. Are they cutting people from jobs where you work? If not, I would say that things are okay for now but if you really want to have job security you need to earn that by showing them you are ambitious. All the while, you will gain more experience in taking on new responsibilities and tasks. I don't know how big the company you work at is or anything but are there other divisions? For example, is there a department that deals with networking or servers where you might be able to learn and offer some services?
  • Options
    My office is right across from the Networking managers. Unforunately, cross training is kind of impossible because generally any kind of training on any of the systems is given to the union workers and I'm an exempt employee. The only thing I'm worried about for job security is that this is a company that has a government contract and it's up next year. If it they don't get the contract again, I'll have to interview with who ever gets the new contract. I just don't want to be sitting at the interview and be like the guy in office space when asked "what do you do here?" and I'm like ummmmm. I've tried to branch my skills to other areas, but my manager keeps telling me to just focus on the system I'm responsible for.
  • Options
    I would say your best option is to specialize as best you can in the system you do manage. Maybe browse some websites for mock interview questions in preparation for the worst case scenario that your company doesn't win the contract. Why do you think they hired you in the first place? Because you were qualified for the position. I think you are underestimating yourself a bit also. Bottom line.. if you know your job very well and can explain what you do and why you are valuable they are likely to keep you around rather than training someone completely new.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    "While working for Company X I served as a consultant to Union foobar to accomplish Y...."

Ok, nevermind that does sound lame. I'd be concerned too if I were you! You said you spend time at work studying. Keep doing that, there's your best job security. Hopefully you can get another certification in the foreseeable future before you find yourself job hunting again. Downtime is study time!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just start looking for a new job now.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'd just start looking for a new job now.

Really? What if he actually enjoys what he does? It doesn't really sound that way from the way he has described it but what if. Would you give up and start looking for a new job if you thought that there was a chance you'd lose your job? What if he has to take a significant pay cut to get a new job? I mean it doesn't hurt to start looking or try to move up but just looking at the scenario as it is.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If I were you I would do my job to the best of my ability and also talk to the managers about possibly getting more responsibilities. It sounds like you may not have a lot of job security if your company loses its contract so I would make sure I had a really nice polished resume and be looking for other opportunities just in case. With how the OP described his job the position he holds would be one that would be ripe for downsizing.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Really? What if he actually enjoys what he does? It doesn't really sound that way from the way he has described it but what if. Would you give up and start looking for a new job if you thought that there was a chance you'd lose your job? What if he has to take a significant pay cut to get a new job? I mean it doesn't hurt to start looking or try to move up but just looking at the scenario as it is.

I'd start looking for a new job in that situation for a few reasons. First, it sounds horribly boring. I, and I'd assume most people, like to enjoy their job. Boring and enjoyment usually don't go hand in hand. Second, as the OP has alluded to, if budget cuts roll around who do you think will be the first to go? Probably the guy that doesn't do much of anything.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you stayed in the office your currently in and asked your co-workers if they needed help, would they have something you could help with? Would your manager get mad?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As long as you're comfortable with your pay I wouldn't even consider looking for a new job. Cushy jobs where you don't do jack are awesome.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I also would have to agree with networker050184 on this one. If you're doing next to nothing then at some point in time someone is going to question why this position exists. Answering with "I would like to do more" is probably not going to cut it as they won't know if you can do more and wonder why you aren't doing more. Even if you had already asked to do more and they didn't allow you to. This is also not sounding like a good position for professional growth. You need to be sharpening those skills to remain valuable. Start looking for a new position now, not when the hatchet falls.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    As long as you're comfortable with your pay I wouldn't even consider looking for a new job. Cushy jobs where you don't do jack are awesome.

I'm not like that at all. A job where I don't do much is horrible for me. I absolutely hate it. I'd rather be busy all day. It just makes the day go by much faster for me. When I'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs I always get the urge to move on to something new.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Another option might be to stay there until you are finished with your college degree. The extra time to study is an awesome bonus.
  • Options
    All of you make perfect sense in your statements. I do actively look for other job positions with other companies around my location, and I'm waiting for the IA spot to open to apply there. The only thing holding me back is the fact that this is the perfect job at the moment to complete my school work with out having to do it at home. So, like that person said in a earlier post I think I'll probably keep this job until I finish my degree. I just thought this position was pretty ludicrous, but hey I can't complain to have this job in todays economy.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another option might be to stay there until you are finished with your college degree. The extra time to study is an awesome bonus.

I agree, the extra time is good until you find a better job but you must really use it in something useful and studying certainly is.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    myedjo24 wrote: »
    this is a company that has a government contract
    Ah -- that explains it. You're a warm body they get to bill the government for.....

Some people will ride the gravy train for as long as they can -- other people would try to slit their wrists with a plastic spork after a week of sitting there doing nothing.

While the job may not provide you with memorable job experience -- it's still a job. Use the time to finish up your degree and then work on some certifications. Hopefully you'll be better prepared to jump to real world jobs if they lose this contract.

The problem is if they keep the contract you may get comfortable doing nothing, and then you may have problems finding -- and keeping -- a real job in the future when they eventually lose the contract (to a competing company make bigger campaign contributions).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Ah -- that explains it. You're a warm body they get to bill the government for.....

Some people will ride the gravy train for as long as they can -- other people would try to slit their wrists with a plastic spork after a week of sitting there doing nothing.

While the job may not provide you with memorable job experience -- it's still a job. Use the time to finish up your degree and then work on some certifications. Hopefully you'll be better prepared to jump to real world jobs if they lose this contract.

The problem is if they keep the contract you may get comfortable doing nothing, and then you may have problems finding -- and keeping -- a real job in the future when they eventually lose the contract (to a competing company make bigger campaign contributions).

Agreed!

I was in this situation once I lasted 6 months.
  • Options
    The other day I went golfing and the IT director for my company was ahead of me. He saw me and asked if my friends and his friends wanted to join in their game, which we ended up doing so. He then asked how I liked my job and I said it's ok but can be a little dull. He then asked well, what do you want to do? I told him that I'd like to do something within IA and he was like ok I'll arrange a meeting with you and the IA manager. Yesterday, I talked with the IT director and the IA manager and it looks like I'll be transfering over to IA which is going to be sweet because I'll beable to get my TS and more than likely a nice pay raise. Beer and golf is all I should ever put on my resume for any future jobs...
  • Options
    The other day I went golfing and the IT director for my company was ahead of me. He saw me and asked if my friends and his friends wanted to join in their game, which we ended up doing so. He then asked how I liked my job and I said it's ok but can be a little dull. He then asked well, what do you want to do? I told him that I'd like to do something within IA and he was like ok I'll arrange a meeting with you and the IA manager. Yesterday, I talked with the IT director and the IA manager and it looks like I'll be transfering over to IA which is going to be sweet because I'll beable to get my TS and more than likely a nice pay raise. Beer and golf is all I should ever put on my resume for any future jobs...

Very awesome, Congrats!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll be transfering over to IA which is going to be sweet because I'll beable to get my TS and more than likely a nice pay raise.
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    Beer and golf is all I should ever put on my resume for any future jobs...
    I'd still finish up the degree and get some certifications, just in case. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So...Does hat mean their is an opening for someone to make $50k and do nothing?...lol

Congrates..
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »

I agree with Boz. You're basically getting paid (fairly well too) to get your college degree (and possibly certifications if you use the time to study for those as well). A lot of people, myself included, would kill for a job like that.

Sure you aren't learning on the job as much as you'd like but you're still getting the chance to tick off more months/years on your resume doing IT work.

I used to do help desk with 4 other guys in one office room and would do my course work in between taking calls and one guy actually told me to not do my homework at work anymore. Needless to say, I told him to F off and kept doing what I was doing until I put in my 2 weeks and went back to a full-time courseload.

Glad things turned out well for you with the IT director.

Just start saving more from every paycheck if aren't already in case you still get canned. I'm sure if you just started following those union workers around and watched what they do at work they're not gonna tell you to go away and you'd get to learn what they do even if not doing it directly yourself.