Options

When a potential employer asks for salary requirements early on

I've had a couple of bites on my resume this week, and both recruiters asked me right away what my salary requirements were. I responded by stating I expected fair compensation based on duties performed given my skillset, and that salary, being just one part of overall compensation, was negotiable.

I have yet to hear back from either of these recruiters. Maybe I'm breaking some taboo or breaching etiquette here, I don't know. I just don't like to even talk salary on my end until I've had at least a phone interview and I'm being seriously considered, other than for a potential employer to say "this is the salary range for this position, are you comfortable with that?"

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't really been in the job market for a while, but it seems like HR departments all over are a lot less forthcoming about pay & benefits than they were a few years ago.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I've had a couple of bites on my resume this week, and both recruiters asked me right away what my salary requirements were. I responded by stating I expected fair compensation based on duties performed given my skillset, and that salary, being just one part of overall compensation, was negotiable.

I have yet to hear back from either of these recruiters. Maybe I'm breaking some taboo or breaching etiquette here, I don't know. I just don't like to even talk salary on my end until I've had at least a phone interview and I'm being seriously considered, other than for a potential employer to say "this is the salary range for this position, are you comfortable with that?"

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I haven't really been in the job market for a while, but it seems like HR departments all over are a lot less forthcoming about pay & benefits than they were a few years ago.

I would name your price. IMO the recruiters / hiring managers aren't going to take you seriously. They are asking you a specific question and you aren't answering it.

It makes you look like you either are afraid to commit, unsure of your value, or desperate for a job and are so worried about the price point excluding you. These people are like hawks, they can see everything.

Do some research look at what the jobs are paying in your area and plan accordingly. Trust me that is going to kill you everytime.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I try not to give this out. First off, who ever quotes salary first usually looses. I have seen answers stating my current employer wishes to keep this information confidential.

Best one I ever heard, was after being asked, the interviewee responded with "based on my skills, education, and work experience, what would a person with similar background earn in your company?"
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I try not to give this out. First off, who ever quotes salary first usually looses. I have seen answers stating my current employer wishes to keep this information confidential.

Best one I ever heard, was after being asked, the interviewee responded with "based on my skills, education, and work experience, what would a person with similar background earn in your company?"
    And when you got hired by that employer, how long did you stay with them? I'd guess not very long. Just as much as an interview is a trial for you as a future employee, it is a trial for your future employer. The "don't take no for an answer" attitude from the interviewer speaks volumes about the employer and how much they value their employees.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know what I want to make when going in for an interview. I prefer not to waste anyones time and be upfront about this. That way, if they are not going to pay me what I want we can both save time.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    high ball the number about 10% greater than you'd actually be happy with and more than likely the offer you get will be in-line with where you wanted to be. You may get lucky and get more than you expect but the flipside of that coin is that even your over-valued estimate may be below their expectation. I generally advise that people put a number out there rather than saying "its negotiable" because I'm more comfortable screwing myself than getting screwed.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    jgiambrjgiambr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I usually try give them a rather large range then throw in the qualifier that I would need to consider all aspects of compensation not just salary. They try to pin you down so they know you are in the same ballpark with them. Otherwise, it is just a waste of their time. Give them a reasonable range but keep in mind your not stuck to it. You can learn things about the job during the interview that may change what you want to be compensated. Just keep the range reasonable and if you have to go higher explain why.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    high ball the number about 10% greater than you'd actually be happy with and more than likely the offer you get will be in-line with where you wanted to be. You may get lucky and get more than you expect but the flipside of that coin is that even your over-valued estimate may be below their expectation. I generally advise that people put a number out there rather than saying "its negotiable" because I'm more comfortable screwing myself than getting screwed.

That's actually pretty sound advice. I'm a little gunshy, because I went for an interview years ago, got caught off guard by being asked what I expected salary-wise right out of the gate. So I threw a number out, then afterwards found out that I low-balled myself big time in regards to what this company typically started employees at the position in question. They offered me the job at the salary I told them, and I ended up not accepting for other reasons, but ever since, I've been apprehensive to name a price. Until now, because of this:
    because I'm more comfortable screwing myself than getting screwed.

If I get asked this, I'll definitely answer with a number beyond what my family needs. I've got a job now, and we're doing fine on my current salary. I want my next career move to be a significant one, not another small step in the right direction. So, I should start answering as such.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Great advice Paul and exactly the same way I feel. I know what I want to make and I'm not going to work for any less. I pad that a little and have always gotten offered more than what I've asked. Could I have possibly made more? Maybe, but as Paul pointed out I'd rather screw myself than be screwed by them. If I get what I ask for, or more, its a win in my book.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's a larger company, Glassdoor.com/salaries/ might help
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Great advice Paul and exactly the same way I feel. I know what I want to make and I'm not going to work for any less. I pad that a little and have always gotten offered more than what I've asked. Could I have possibly made more? Maybe, but as Paul pointed out I'd rather screw myself than be screwed by them. If I get what I ask for, or more, its a win in my book.

Absolutely.

I always have a number and it's usually 10-20% hirer than what I actually want. If I make 60,000 I am asking for 68-72,000.

I tried the tactic mention in the post and never landed a job by doing that. In fact never received a call back. The way I see it you are asked a very simple question. If you aren't prepared to answer that question, why should they think you are prepared to work for their company?
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm more comfortable screwing myself than getting screwed.

Man I love this phrase :D

I would definitely ask for something that I can negotiate about usually like Paul said 10% higher than what I would accept/be satisfied with.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Salary is always a tough situation. As others mentioned, I normally shoot for about 10% higher than I expect them to pay. I always feel 20% is being a bit ambitious or shooting for the stars per say.......but depending on the situation and salary range, it isin't unacceptable. I am actually in the process of discussing salary with a company and am going to tell them how much I currently make and tell them I want my next position to be a step up in both responsibility and in salary then shut up. I will let them make an offer and see what happens. I always feel like telling them that sounds nice, and lets them know you def want to make more than you currently make.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is always tough. For my current job, I threw out a range that was actually a good range higher than my current salary, $7-12k in fact. While I thought I would be substantially more comfortable with this, I actually feel like I am slightly worse off since I am paid monthly instead of bi-weekly or even semi-monthly. My benefits are actually way better too, and my current employer covers a larger percentage. I say that I need at least an 15% minimum increase going forward (which this one was), but I would be more comfortable with 18-22%. There are just odd things about a job that can change things. For instance, I spend a considerable amount on dry cleaning now since I have to wear a suit daily. Also, the facility is so large that I have to essentially eat in the cafeteria, and it isn't cheap... and there aren't good facilities for preparing my own means that I bring in.

Besides, I now know that I left about $10-20k on the table, easily. It is going to take me two years to make up that difference, and that is assuming I keep getting more stuff for our "market salary adjustments" (advanced degrees, certifications, etc).
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Giving the recruiter a salary range isn't the same thing as telling the hiring HR department your range, IMO. The recruiter is getting a commission based on the salary in a lot of cases.

If absolutely pressed, my plan is to come up with my current "total compensation" package for the current job I'm working (base salary + avg bonus + ~33% for benefits overhead + $ value for company paid training). I'd aim for x% higher total compensation and negotiate the finer points of the total package when I get farther along in the interview process, as long as the base salary is close to acceptable.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are negotiating with HR give the yearly rate you'd like.

If you are negotiating with a recruiter express to them your TAKE HOME RATE. You have no reason to give a crap what percentage of the over-all rate the recruiter is making. I would say "I will not take less than $45/hour take-home." If they want to charge the company $60/hr that's on them. Bottom line I'm getting my $45/hour and don't care what the recruiter makes after that.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/