Options

$1 from a million people is $1million

sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
$1 from a million people is $1million..... Now let's try making it daily.

This quote came from a friend, apparently he wants to strike to be the next google. There is a debate between us whether it depends on cost to gather a million people or on how to gather a million people. I believe it doesnt matter how much you spend on an idea, what matters is how to get the audience for your idea. please guys help me out

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There was a site some years ago called a million pieces or something. And on their site, you could buy space to put a picture. Each little square was $1 and they had a million of them. So some people put pictures of themselves up, companies put logos up, and the college kid that thought of this walked away with a million bucks.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Help you out by?
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Help you out by?

Giving him $1
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    There was a site some years ago called a million pieces or something. And on their site, you could buy space to put a picture. Each little square was $1 and they had a million of them. So some people put pictures of themselves up, companies put logos up, and the college kid that thought of this walked away with a million bucks.
    I remember, it was this:
    The Million Dollar Homepage - Own a piece of internet history!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are many factors involved. You are mostly getting into a pure business debate.

I'll post a little bit although this post is so open ended it requires books to explain.
    cost to gather a million people

Yes, it matters a lot on the cost to achieve a product that has a million people desiring it.

Mcdonalds wouldn't be popular if they sold their hamburgers for 1,000,000 dollars.
    or on how to gather a million people

Yes it matters a lot on how to gather a million people. If companies didn't spend money on advertisement, they would rarely get any where.

Now I think the question you are trying to ask is:

Are you better off focusing on expense vs revenue or volume? And the answer, as I eluded to above, is both. It just depends on what you are trying to do that you tip your focus a certain way.

Getting into a bit more business speak, gross profit and the gross profit margin seems to be a very focused upon value in business. Both are important but depending on the business, you can make billions off either one.

In the example at this website

A Deeper Look at Gross Profit and Gross Profit Margin | Joshua Kennon

Joshua looks at both Walmart and Microsoft. Walmart sells much more volume than Microsoft. But because Microsoft doesn't have to keep up with 1,000's of stores, product, electricity, water, massive amount of employees, then they make a large profit just as Walmart does.

If you read the article, you will get a better understanding.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options

Yep, that would be it.

EDIT:
    LOL, I love that Waldo is in it. Twice that I see.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    sting_224 wrote: »
    $1 from a million people is $1million..... Now let's try making it daily.

This quote came from a friend, apparently he wants to strike to be the next google. There is a debate between us whether it depends on cost to gather a million people or on how to gather a million people. I believe it doesnt matter how much you spend on an idea, what matters is how to get the audience for your idea. please guys help me out

I saw this on a show once and I'm sure it will work:

Phase 1: Collect Underpants
    Phase 2: ?
    Phase 3: Profit

MS
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    What would make a million people give you a buck each? Mind though that the effort shouldn't be protracted, since as a grown- up you have expenses (rent, mortgage, car payment, taxes etc.) and what you get monthly from your "million dollar project" should far exceed your expenses.
    Yes, this is purely a business management question... the Million Dollar website wouldn't stand a chance today with all the social media websites that let anybody use them with very little to nothing as a cost for social web presence.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My only issue is that there's no real difference between someone using the Internet to hustle a dollar out of someone and a hobo doing the same on the side of the freeway. It's not really entrepreneurship in the true sense because you're generally not providing anything of value. I sometimes donate money to this site because I get value out of this site.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    the Million Dollar website wouldn't stand a chance today with all the social media websites that let anybody use them with very little to nothing as a cost for social web presence.

I bet it would. It was a gimmick, people did it because it was funny. Do you have any idea how much companies spend on advertising? What would another few thousand bucks be? Do you know how many people visited this site over the past 5 years? Neither do I, but it got me at least twice as I checked it out again today.

What is funny is he only guarenteed 5 years, which was up in August. He should create a new million pixles and sell those off. I bet they would go again (but maybe not quite as fast).
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the Million Dollar website wouldn't stand a chance today with all the social media websites that let anybody use them with very little to nothing as a cost for social web presence.

Home | I Wear Your Shirt
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    It's not really entrepreneurship in the true sense because you're generally not providing anything of value.

I agree...the word "entrepreneur" is one of the most misused words out there. IMO, the defining characteristic of an entrepreneur is willingness to take calculated risk. I don't consider myself an entrepreneur, as what I do is calculated, but isn't really all that risky....

The post started this thread is not about entrepreneurship, but rather panhandling.....

MS
  • Options
    Thanks a lot guys, just the type of explanation I needed. Its clearer now. Here is a quote from my friend, hoping I got it exactly as he said it- "cost is inevitable and gathering a million people is not such a difficulty in this age of information technology. I believe the proposer of this idea has thought of a system of benefit for those he is calling to join his platform and once you join benefit/profit to any venture, gathering people is only a matter of time. Which is why I added 'in good time'."
  • Options
    sting_224 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot guys, just the type of explanation I needed. Its clearer now. Here is a quote from my friend, hoping I got it exactly as he said it- "cost is inevitable and gathering a million people is not such a difficulty in this age of information technology. I believe the proposer of this idea has thought of a system of benefit for those he is calling to join his platform and once you join benefit/profit to any venture, gathering people is only a matter of time. Which is why I added 'in good time'."

Sounds scamesque....

Usually if you can't tell from a description what is being sold, or if you have to pay to get into some kind of scheme, it's very likely a scam....

MS
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Mishra
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    eMeS wrote: »
    Sounds scamesque....

Usually if you can't tell from a description what is being sold, or if you have to pay to get into some kind of scheme, it's very likely a scam....

MS

I believe he is selling a good time.. I'm in!
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I believe he is selling a good time.. I'm in!

I'll sell a good time to anyone, only $500 and I'll stick it in the mail!
  • Options
    still don't agree with him on it not being difficult to get 1 million customers in this IT age.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What would make a million people give you a buck each? Mind though that the effort shouldn't be protracted, since as a grown- up you have expenses (rent, mortgage, car payment, taxes etc.) and what you get monthly from your "million dollar project" should far exceed your expenses.
    Yes, this is purely a business management question... the Million Dollar website wouldn't stand a chance today with all the social media websites that let anybody use them with very little to nothing as a cost for social web presence.

I am going to have to completely disagree with you on that one. I cannot remember how long it took Mr. Tew to get all of his pixels sold, but I do remember that he actually auctioned off his last block of 10 pixels for about $30k. The way it work was viral, though, and if this was an original idea today, it would have probably taken a quarter of the amount of time for him to sell all one million pixels as more people would have been drawn in BECAUSE of social media.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A long time ago when I was in the Marines and stationed overseas we had a guy who was always broke because he went nuts on payday weekend.

So since the Philippines was so cheap it was expensive you could get drunk and get a girl for 15 bucks.

He would every other day and mooch a dollar for a soda from random people in our company.

Come to find out we were funding his weekend drinking/whoring binges.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I'm selling glass jars of air from the room I was in where I had a good time last weekend. Have your own personal glass jar of good times. A steal at $50 per, cause you might want more than one.